AuthorTopic: My base for rpg  (Read 6829 times)

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Re: My base for rpg

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 09:45:15 pm
You need to give the walls and ground a lot more variety in colors and details, I know its a work in progress, but keep this in mind for the future. If the player is going to see these tiles a lot, you have to have variety, otherwise they will get bored. For example, you could put banners, rugs, tables, signs, books (on the ground), pieces of wall missing, or even glowing eyes in a hole in the wall. Just some ideas, but it looks good!
Thanks for the advice! When I'll find some time, I'll work on variety.

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 01:35:30 pm
I think you need to use different colours for the wall and the floor, else it's too difficult to see at a glance which things are solid to the player.

Simple example:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 02:12:48 pm
you can play around with various settings if you do those tiles
The key point is to keep readability in mind and avoid clutter, while staying detailled.
YOu also want to get the players eye to the important spot, tell them how far/near something is and what importance it has visually.

In order to achieve this you can alter:
-color contrasts (how all main colors of a palette correlate e.g. warm/cool orange blue -> complimentary contrast for more contrast)
-color relationships (within a single ramp of a palette: is it a straight ramp or will ther ebe hue shifting applied)
-value relationships (what relative brightness, darkness elements in the scene have - i altered the ceiling, the wall and the top of the walls)
-contrast relationships (what contrast ramps in the artwork have - i mainly edited the floor contrast to get rid of the clutter)

according to the balancing of every element, you can get a completely different impression in terms of how the player will read the graphics and recognize where to go or where to look at.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 07:02:30 pm
Thanks for the advice, guys!
I played with the color and got 2 versions, from which I prefer the one with blue floor, but I'd like to hear which one do you prefer. The images are meant to be displayed scaled up (200%)

Here are some of the wall variation. I'd like to mention that I've done it such way, that different features can be present on the same tile.

Any critique will be appreciated!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 12:15:59 am
blue floor

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:14:46 am
I've worked a little bit with base and I'd like to hear your critique.

This is the size that image is meant to be viewed.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 01:00:47 pm
The character looks like a gold statue against the background.  I'm I to assume the green blocks are walls?

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 04:06:08 pm
Thank you for feedback!
I've darken the skin of characters.

And yes, the green bricks are walls.

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:48:16 pm
I think you should make the floor a bit darker and perhaps include some of the colours of the floor in the wall or vice versa to make it look more like they belong together