AuthorTopic: Struggling "getting started"  (Read 5189 times)

Offline jvpeters_

• View Profile

Struggling "getting started"

on: January 03, 2016, 03:11:13 am
A while ago I tried starting out pixel art and then kinda stopped. But here I am trying again and I am running into the same problem that kept frustrating me before: I really struggle to get started on the lineart/silhouette phase. All my attempts (basically just platformer characters) just either look too flat or badly shaped. Any help?

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: Struggling "getting started"

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:33:45 am
could you draw it on paper?? if not, then id say stop pixeling for a while and draw.  focus on art undamentals.  then start pixeling again.  just my 2 cents

Offline jvpeters_

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:40:24 am
One of the main reasons I chose pixel art is because I just don't really have the hand stability to do anything else.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:51:34 am
is it due to some medical condition?  i think pixel art is even less forgiving for shaky hands than a pencil.  with drawing you dont even need a steady hand because you can actually draw smoother lines drawing with your shoulder instead of your wrist.

but i mean if you cant draw the character getting it pixeled will be really difficult and lots of just praying the pixels will eventually work

Offline jvpeters_

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:07:12 am
No, i'm just really bad with a pencil :p
I've been experimenting with making 3d models and working off them and that works fairly well aside from the fact it's time consuming.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:31:37 am
I think pixel art is even less forgiving for shaky hands than a pencil.

Eh? With pixel art you don't even have to draw, you can place pixels one by one. And if you draw, then zoom in and you won't even have to draw straight to make a straight line.
Also, it's super easy to correct mistakes, because everything is neatly separated into clear pixels, as opposed to a highres drawing where you have different sharpness and trying to patch something up can get really messy.

As for the OP.
Just keep at it.. I draw stuff that looks bad all the time, I just keep drawing until it looks right..
Whenever that doesn't work, I make sure to study whatever I'm drawing really closely. Finding references and compare side by side.
There is no magical solution to making it work, you just need to study and practice, put in the hours..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:36:52 am by Seiseki »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 05:40:00 am
I think pixel art is even less forgiving for shaky hands than a pencil.

Eh? With pixel art you don't even have to draw, you can place pixels one by one. And if you draw, then zoom in and you won't even have to draw straight to make a straight line.
Also, it's super easy to correct mistakes, because everything is neatly separated into clear pixels, as opposed to a highres drawing where you have different sharpness and trying to patch something up can get really messy.

As for the OP.
Just keep at it.. I draw stuff that looks bad all the time, I just keep drawing until it looks right..
Whenever that doesn't work, I make sure to study whatever I'm drawing really closely. Finding references and compare side by side.
There is no magical solution to making it work, you just need to study and practice, put in the hours..

does anyone really pixel the actual drawing pixel by pixel?? that'd take ages.  i only thought it'd be harder because drawing with a mouse or tablet is clunky compared to a pencil

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 09:27:12 am
Yeah you're right, but more importantly, no one draws perfect non-jaggy lines anyways, you always have to clean up the lines afterwards.

Anyways, I think that in pixel art no one can tell how shaky someones hands are or what kind of motions they use to draw.
You can be super clumsy, as long as you clean it up, it's fine.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 04:29:41 pm
If you can't draw something on paper, "shaky hands" aren't your problem. Your problem is that you can't draw. If you want to know the secret to fixing your problem, here it is: practice drawing for a few hours a day for ten years. Big secret, right? :P

Offline Seefour

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:57:47 pm
tutorials, tutorials, tutorials, and more tutorials.  Follow along, draw everything they draw.  Read, browse forums, look at what other people are drawing, look at the suggestions other people are making on drawings. 
Also, it helps to go easy on yourself when you do not like what you are drawing.  This takes time, patience, and practice.  I am not long from the starting line myself, but I am finding the knowledge is out there, you just have to look for it.