AuthorTopic: I'm really bad at drawing hair  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

I'm really bad at drawing hair

on: December 31, 2015, 07:07:19 am
Well I tried to do something with a reference but I kinda failed.
My anatomy is completely wrong and my image isn't really matching the reference but I think these problems might get fixed by repeating pixeling with other references haha :D

But then I tried to make the hair and I had absolutely no clue.
I just made something. I'm not sure if I'm able to figure this on out by myself. So I would appreciate if someone could tell me how hair shading works ? o.O
(of course every kind of critic is welcome!)

Reference:
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: I'm really bad at drawing hair

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 07:18:01 am
I don't think it looks too bad honestly? the only experience I have drawing hair is on this guy

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 07:40:08 am
Your hair is great actually.  I think that it is better than the reference.  The shin on the bent leg is too long.  Foreshorten it to match your reference.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:54:58 am

Added more contrast (darkened the shadow and added a new highlight), removed some of the lighten colour from the lower parts of the hair that shouldn't receive much sunlight, and added the anime hair halo thing using the colour from her face.
You don't need to add more contrast, because your reference doesn't, but it should help you see what you're doing better.

But hey you said it yourself you'll get better with practice, so just keep it up man.  :y:
* may contain misinformation

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:03:41 am
@Roach thank you for replying!

@Ambivorous Thank you very much! This is exactly what I needed! The next time I draw hair I will try to reproduce this. This really helps :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:24:04 am by Pusty »
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline uok

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:12:30 am
I think the problem is the shape of the hair, everything goes everywhere like she just got out of the bed. How does this look?

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:23:51 am

@uok
Thank you very much! This indeed makes the hair look better. Although I'm not sure if it fits the style of the rest because I haven't used such lines (as I can't stand them).
But I will take it in consideration the next time I do hair. :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:25:37 am by Pusty »
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Okami Amaterasu

• Gotta work!! ( `w´)/
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 02:14:43 pm
Another thing that will help you with the hair is the head itself. Its shape seems inconsistent to me, you could use some shading to show theres a neck too. Also, the colors need contrast, try some larger hue difference between the values, it could help!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:18 pm
@Okami Amaterasu
Thank you very much! :D I though I already had some contrast but seeing the picture you made I see how to make it better. Also the way you defined the face with this help line is very helpful, as I can see how this will make things easier! With you image I also realised how I can improve my color choices by making the pallete before drawing something lol
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 07:59:54 pm
@Okami Amaterasu
Thank you very much! :D I though I already had some contrast but seeing the picture you made I see how to make it better. Also the way you defined the face with this help line is very helpful, as I can see how this will make things easier! With you image I also realised how I can improve my color choices by making the pallete before drawing something lol

what makes you think he made the palette beforehand?  Making your palette beforehand also does not mean it is better.  in fact i think it would almost always be better to tweak it as you go along because it is hard to tell how well the colors can go for your intended look without first using them.  even painters are constantly tweaking their palette as they go along by continuing to mix colors to their pre-existing ones

what software do you use?  knowing your software can help you tweak your palette in a jiffy.

Here's a valuable tip i learned from PPD  a while ago.  To test your palette, turn yo' image to greyscale- once it's in greyscale, you can see the values clearly.  The common goal is to make sure they greyscale version has a wide range of values to ensure your image pops with enough contrast! 

Note that there are problem areas in your version Okami fixed.  for instance, his eye saw that the bright ears got lost in the bright background, so he not only darkened them but also made them even easier for the eye to see by adding a dark outline.  this is good, because you want it to be easy for the eye to see every detail.  it also looks better.  note improvements to contrast throughout the whole image.  for instance, shading in the skirt needed to be more easy to see.

once you train your eye to better see the range of values in your colors, you dont even need they greyscale tip, though it can still come in handy at times
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:04:06 pm by Friend »