AuthorTopic: [WIP] New Style: 2D[sup]2[/sup] (Two Dimension Squared)  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Crit Nasty

• My Pixel Art adventure started 12/12/2015.
    • View Profile

[WIP] New Style: 2D[sup]2[/sup] (Two Dimension Squared)

on: December 30, 2015, 01:23:46 am
Could really use some constructive crit, please. Dubbing it 2D2. Let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:34:22 am by Crit Nasty »
One does not simply crit.

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] New Style: 2D[sup]2[/sup] (Two Dimension Squared)

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:30:28 am
Well.....It's definitely....different

The depth between the layers are more confusing than anything, making the overall image extremely hard to read and understand what it is.

EDIT December 29th 2015, 8:32 PM EST

Ah! Now that it's scaled down it's a lot easier to see, it looks very detailed, but still equally as confusing.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 04:29:59 am
This isn't pixel art.
This is hi-res photoshop using tools and filters design to resemble something inspired by pixel art, but not actual pixel art.

Offline Crit Nasty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:27:42 am
Edit: Lowered the Res and redid the entire sprite.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:11:31 am
I don't think the "new" style is adding anything. What's the point?  Let's see you use it in a way that actually makes it worthwhile

Offline Crit Nasty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:38:58 am
Well... I was honestly was not expecting flaming retorts from the members here; Haters gunna hate though. I'd appreciate if anyone with some actual constructive critism would leave a reply. Thank you.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 07:48:07 am
Not really flaming retorts, more just somewhat subjective statements. Friend makes a good point in that it should be key to show why the new style is worth considering and discussing, otherwise we would just be wasting time if it serves no purpose, and by traditional definition, this is high res filtered art. If you could show maybe it is aesthetically pleasing to a large mass of people, even if it is just a niche group, or it is quicker and faster to make, or it easier to animate frame by frame or modularly than other traditional methods, or just some other thing worth looking into than that would be awesome. Otherwise it just turns into a discussion about how people think it looks, and that is an endless loop of subjectivity with stubborn walls at all ends not worth looking into.

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 03:35:58 pm
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, but I also didn't see any other statements as flaming or bashing your work. From my understanding this is suppose to be a scepter, correct?

Why are there different layers on the handle, specifically in a cross-stitch pattern? Logically that doesn't help with gripping, and fingers would probably get caught in it. I understand what you're trying to achieve with this new style, you want to add more depth, but for items like these, they don't really make any sense, especially when they can be achieved less painstakingly by using regular pixel art. The way I can see this working better is in dungeon flooring or any tiling to show depth in a top-down RPG. (Higher ground takes less damage and does more, things like that.)

So I can see the practicality of it, but not in the way you are using it. (For Items/Characters/etc)