AuthorTopic: New Here  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Re: New Here

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 03:59:07 pm
Wow! You've already made great improvements!  ;D It's great to see someone who is extremely eager to learn!  :y:

Since we're on to some learning, I wanted to talk about lighting and stepping in shades. First with Lighting, it appears there are two light sources. One from the front and one from above. (Image below diagram thingy) Now, this is all determined by location, and since I wasn't sure exactly what the setting was, I decided to go with an outside light source (the sun) Often a frontal light source would be like a cavern or cave with candles lighting the way, but then you wouldn't have the light source at the top, because there is no sun.

Removing the frontal lighting leaves us with this:

Now I'm 800% certain someone can do a better shading job than I did, but it's just a basic example of how the hair would be shaded and how the face would also attempt to take on some of the light from the light source.

The next thing to talk about is the shading and stepping. Usually, when something is hit with a light source, it takes on properties from the light. When a leaf is hit by the sunlight, it is more yellow*. If a leaf is hit with light from a fire, it is more orange or red. (Once again playing to the setting aspect of video gaming.)

I tired to do some basic stepping, staying away from being too drastic, but this is what I came up with:
It's a bit bright, too bright for a dungeon, but when you're out in the sun, that's probably the direction you should head towards.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:00:51 pm by Digivoxel »

Offline Seefour

• View Profile

Re: New Here

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 08:52:02 pm
Thank you Digivox for the informative post. 

I wasn't looking at the light-sources as separate, but that certainly makes a lot of sense.

have a good new year!