AuthorTopic: Waterfall motion  (Read 14442 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Waterfall motion

Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 03:42:06 am
Feel like I'm pretty done  and need to finish some surrounding assets.
Still interested in crits for future improvement or any small changes that might improve this.

This was a low-paying commission for an unannounced game.
I went way over time as I wanted to experiment new techniques and gain more confidence with using Gale.

So thanks everyone for the nice comments and helpful crits (Sorry I don't reply much but I take them all on board).
Also a big thanks to Wolfenoctis for listening to my ramblings!  :crazy:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 08:21:17 am
I like your attitude but your art is even better. Awesome end result :D

I'm not sure if this is that helpful as I don't known much about animation, but maybe there is such a thing as unity among animation similarly how there is in unity in style of separate elements such as trees grass rocks etc. what I mean is I'm not sure your separate animated bits go together as well as they could. I don't know why but the round circles animating where the waterfall hits the bottom bother me especially

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 30, 2015, 03:29:21 pm
I don't know why but the round circles animating where the waterfall hits the bottom bother me especially
Ah, I see what you're saying. Instead of being reactionary, they seem more like they are coming off of a conveyor belt.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 12:52:51 am
I like your attitude but your art is even better. Awesome end result :D

I'm not sure if this is that helpful as I don't known much about animation, but maybe there is such a thing as unity among animation similarly how there is in unity in style of separate elements such as trees grass rocks etc. what I mean is I'm not sure your separate animated bits go together as well as they could. I don't know why but the round circles animating where the waterfall hits the bottom bother me especially

Thanks.
Those things are called MistypuffsTM  :lol:
Nah the idea was to have a misty haze and it wasn't intended to be little balls just kinda came out like that.
Dunno if I'll get a chance but I might be able to smooth out the effect a bit make it softer and hazier so the balls aren't so obvious.
Besides that I dunno what else to do about conveyor effect with just 4 frames for the whole image (stole that idea from Sohei :P).
It was interesting to see what I could do with 4 frames but I'll do more frames next time that's for sure.

The real limitation here though is in the variable-height tiling which does not make this kind of waterfall very fun TBH.
For example I can't easily vary the width of the waterfall otherwise since it becomes difficult to line it up across different tile configurations.

If there was actually a decent software for making animated tiles it would make stuff like this alot easier.
Something like Gale and PyxelEdit combined where you can edit a frame of a tile and have it updated across the whole mockup in real-time would be awesome.
Anyone know of anything like that around yet?

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 31, 2015, 01:05:22 am
I actually like the Mistypuffs TM. I meant the medium blue circles below the Mistypuffs TM.  Idk. I just think the separate animation sections of the water kinda look like they all are in separate styles. Sorry to keep bumping. Just wanted to clarify I like Mistypuffs TM.

those thingies ^  Like I kinda feel that section might look better if it was all filled in with white water
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:12:56 am by Friend »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: December 31, 2015, 01:13:55 am
If there was actually a decent software for making animated tiles it would make stuff like this alot easier.
Something like Gale and PyxelEdit combined where you can edit a frame of a tile and have it updated across the whole mockup in real-time would be awesome.

I just checked and ProMotion is able to do that. (or at least it seems so)
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: December 31, 2015, 05:59:42 am
I actually like the Mistypuffs TM. I meant the medium blue circles below the Mistypuffs TM.  Idk. I just think the separate animation sections of the water kinda look like they all are in separate styles. Sorry to keep bumping. Just wanted to clarify I like Mistypuffs TM.

those thingies ^  Like I kinda feel that section might look better if it was all filled in with white water
Oh cool yeah Crit Nasty pointed that out too.
It was supposed to resemble something like this - http://www.stormeyes.org/tornado/SkyPix/seafoam1.jpg
But maybe I need to redo it if it looks too odd.

I just checked and ProMotion is able to do that. (or at least it seems so)
Thanks alot I'll definitely have to get that program now!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: December 31, 2015, 06:18:21 am

Oh cool yeah Crit Nasty pointed that out too.
It was supposed to resemble something like this - http://www.stormeyes.org/tornado/SkyPix/seafoam1.jpg
But maybe I need to redo it if it looks too odd.

oy i could see how the foam effect might work.  maybe it is because they are too uniform in size and shape and unlike the weblike unfolding they do- maybe think of the foam as connected webs that expand outward in different sizes
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:20:13 am by Friend »