AuthorTopic: Waterfall motion  (Read 14446 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Waterfall motion

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:14:22 pm
Re the waterfall shape, I should have mentioned earlier I'm restricted to straight lines as the cliffs tile vertically as below (hence the weird blocky shapes of the rocks).

also a bit of a colour edit trying to add a bit of flavour and keeping comments from u guys in mind.

not sure if grass is a little TOO desaturated now, it looks OK in Photoshop but on here it looks off.
man i really hate the bright background on this forum it really throws off the colour balance  :yell:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 03:30:06 pm
New colors look amazing. I really love the new rock colors specifically the shadow colors.  I kinda wish the grass had some detail or texture besides edges though

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 01:18:46 pm
New colors look amazing. I really love the new rock colors specifically the shadow colors.  I kinda wish the grass had some detail or texture besides edges though
thx. will probably add a few more plant sprites as overlay declas otherwise it will make a shit-tonne of extra tiles.

working on various water flow and shimmering effects within 4 frame loop.

intending to keep movement fairly minimal though I may go back and add a few more dramatic bits.

Offline Crit Nasty

• My Pixel Art adventure started 12/12/2015.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 08:36:03 pm
I really like the darker contrast of colors that you've most recently used. I feel as if the loop is missing some realism though. Maybe add the physics of the clash between the waterfall and the river below it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:30:54 am by Crit Nasty »
One does not simply crit.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 10:26:28 pm
Making the waterfall lighter was a huge improvement.  I like the other colors a bit better too.  I think that you could go further with the waterfall and eliminate the darkest blue.  Look at references and you will see that waterfalls are almost pure white, often with vertical streaks of gray.  You might want to use your stone highlight shade in the waterfall.  Here's a great reference: https://earndoggy.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/wpid-new-waterfalls.jpg

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:55:14 pm
latest version adding some more textures to the loop and reduced dark bits in waterfall.

was trying to keep the bottom area contained in 1 tile height but probs need to extend into next tile a bit or it will look too sudden.

EDIT: added some suggestion of reflective waves.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:18:49 am by Decroded »

Offline Finlal

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 12:33:57 am
That looks really good, but a bit too bright for my taste.
If it's for the game, the waterfall might interfere with character sprite due to it's contrast with cliffs.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 02:20:37 pm

Offline Crit Nasty

• My Pixel Art adventure started 12/12/2015.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 07:10:23 pm
Omgosh you killed it! Beautifully done Decroded. I really like the "continued flow of the water" which ties together the entire animation very well. Your clash well into the river with the specs of water splashing out is a convincing touch as well! The only thing I would ditch would be the "rolling suds" effect you have. The colors aren't quite right and it just doesn't have the same "elegant" feel as the rest of your waterfall's style. I would love to see what it would look like without it, or even with a slight alteration to its mechanics. All in all, you're on a verge of a masterpiece!
One does not simply crit.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 01:58:18 am
added some small mist effect constrained within a tile instead of bleeding out.