AuthorTopic: KB90 here  (Read 7014 times)

Offline KB90

• View Profile

KB90 here

on: November 21, 2015, 10:22:54 am
So here is my very first try to create pixelated world (background is still in development).

I'm having really hard time to develop proper characters, let alone animations.

Thank you for feedback!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:12:04 pm by KB90 »

Offline Passthejam

• View Profile

Re: Very beginner here

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 10:57:51 am
Nice! I'm making something similar to that right now, I think your dirt/rock is the best part and the shape for your tree seems OK but the palettes clash a bit, so I'd recommend revising those. Good work though!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:28:55 pm
1. try to save your images in png format , jpeg makes it look worse
2. why are you using over 100 colors on the left grass things on the wall? (at least my program tells me that there are over 100 colors lol)

Now actual critic:
The grass/moss on the left wall is way to noisy (you can't actually see what it should be)
The left wall needs some anti-aliasing
What are those red things on the tree?

Here is a edit, although it's not good at all (17 colors left):

I tried to remove the noise, but my time ran out haha :D
I tried to change the wood color but I don't think these colors fit in,so just ignore them (I wish I would remember where I got those)
I wasn't sure what those red things were, so I lowered the intensity and made them 2x2 pixels wide.

Good work for your first tries tho!
I hope this helps :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline KB90

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:17:01 pm
Thanks for feedback!
Pusty, it will help me a lot. Bottom of that wall had million colors, because I done it using filter lol (photoshop).
Red things are blossoms, trees wish to bloom too! :D

BTW. I was working on settlment I need for my game, but I started from too low scale and now it is just too tiny, I mean door size for house are 5x2 pixels. So I will have to start again. Just wanted to ask, how you pick optimal starting point, because if I scale too big I will need to make my objects very detailed and this will take too long time, while this time it was opposite. I will upload it, wish to get some feedback and tips:

P.S.: I have this very basic idea for game, where your character lives in world of floating pieces of earth and you will travel around to get resources to improve your settlement really basic idea, I will do it in unity and export as free web game so you don't need to download anything.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:17:14 pm
your style is unconvential but oh so good.  please as you progress try to maintain your style!!

Offline KB90

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:31:44 pm
To be honest, I don't know what you mean, could you be more specific? :D I'm only trying to copy pixel art I like adding a little bit of what I think looks good, just a minor details.
Anyway, thanks!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 08:41:11 pm
as you progress, people will try to help you and tell you to pixel more like this or this or this.  But your style sticks out.  Try to find a balance of improving while not losing your touch

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 06:17:01 pm
I partly agree with Friend.
If you work on your color choices (and keep the amount down), and maybe practice tree drawing this would look very unique in a good way!
I just can't stand these colors haha :D

On your new picture:
Just pick better colors (and maybe reshade the tree) and it would look perfect to me :D (I really like the house design)

To your question:
I start by drawing a player and plan how much time I will invest.
If I'm able to make a big player,animate it and it still looks good to me I usually stick to the size. Maybe this helps you :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline IncorrigibleBoozehound

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 06:41:50 pm
I like the minimalism but what little shading you have needs to respect a light source. The tree in your first picture makes it look like the light source is the ground, heh.

When shading a tree you generally don't want the shadows to be round. You want shadows at the fringes of clusters of leaves, opposite the light source. Also bear in mind a tree casts a shadow on it's own trunk when a light source is above it.

Offline KB90

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 07:26:24 pm
Thank you for feedback.

Here is new piece. I still think it is a little bit too small. What do you think?

It took me a while to make this. I'm just afraid that if I go bigger, it might took me too long, as I need entire game world same standard.