AuthorTopic: Character Shading Help  (Read 2046 times)

Offline philosophunculist

• View Profile

Character Shading Help

on: November 03, 2015, 10:18:20 pm
 ???I'm quite new to pixel art and have mostly been dabbling in it because I need sprites for a game I'm coding. For this reason, I threw together a sprite modeled after a peasant from the Middle ages, but I'm not quite sure how to go about shading it. If anyone could point me in the right direction or critique the overall sprite, I'd be very appreciative.

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Re: Character Shading Help

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 01:30:40 am
*LEMME KNOW IF YOU CAN SEE MY EDITS*

The first thing that i see (although it looks great :D) before even considering shading is cleaning up your sprite.  The way you drew it the heads shape itself is a bit wonky, the arms and legs are uneven and the hair is touching the top of the canvas.  If you plan on animating or just generally viewing the character should not touch the edges of the canvas (unless intentionally) 

Generally an easy trick to get good colours for shading is if you have a colour picker take your original colour and make it darker and then for example with skin tones make it a bit more red.  This always works and makes the sprite look super cool. 

Heres a quick edit i made for you.  Use it if you want but please for learning.  Id hate to see you cheat out of the work and have to pay for it later.  Try out all the critiques i gave you and see if you can get a product better than mine  :crazy:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:34:02 am by IrresponsibleFreelancer »
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: Character Shading Help

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 01:44:20 am
Hey IrresponsibleFreelancer, I don't see your edits. It might be because I'm on mobile though.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio