yep a dude called chris here:

C+C please

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: chris

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:11:25 am
pillow-shaded, and the line art doesn't accurately portray the geometry your going for.

tomster 785

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:28:37 am
doesn't pillow shade mean shade something to look like a pillow? well unless you get wavy shading on a pillow I didn't pillow shade, and what do you mean by "the line art doesn't accurately portray the geometry your going for."???

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 03:18:32 pm
If i was ever told one of my pieces was pillow shaded and i didn't fully understand what it meant i would have researched it on the internet for about 5 minutes before making embarrassing replies...

I honestly think you should try to improve your general drawing skills before undertaking pixel art such as this. It would make things much easier for you i think.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 04:28:16 pm
im going to tell you what i tell nearly everyone: start small, and build up your knowledge of drawing in general before doing something like this.  dont try to work large in pixels untill you are a badass pixel-pusher, or pursue some other method of drawing.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 05:33:36 pm
Put "pillow shading" into google, hit "I Feel Lucky", and it will take you here:

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html

His first example of shading is correctly identified as "pillow shading", and it matches your shading style.  He goes on to explain why it is bad, and what can be done to correct it.  While pixel art has a lot of its own rules and weird exceptions, the one thing you definitely DO need to know is the basic rules of 2d art - volume, shadow, color theory, anatomy.  I recommend reading this every night before bed:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

I would be careful about rejecting accurate critiques in the future.  If you want to improve, and you DEFINITELY need to improve (we all do!) then you need to do research, practice, read, practice, learn, and practice.  Pixelopolis can help you with some of those things!  Best of luck!

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:47:29 am
I remember you,
I also tried to critque you and help you with re-done examples of your work, but you failed to study them and take in the information I was giving you.
Which is why I don't re-draw things for people anymore as an example, it's a waste of time. They'll either dislike the style you put their artwork in or just ignore you.

Atomic- Very nice links, especially the last one...bookmarked.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:53:43 am by Draco9898 »

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 09:31:34 am
I'd sort the nose out aswell. Considering the angle we see his face, unless he's a real life Picasso study piece, a front on view, or that anime triangle shadow thing.
Also for the free, the brach he's sitting on should be bigger to take his weight and there's no need for the one below, you'd just swig your legs ect.

You've got an idea, so good luck with that.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 03:50:38 pm
(my account was deleted somehow :() aww crap I did try to make it big enouigh to hold his weight just didn't work I gues I think I' have a close idea of how to fix the pillow shading so I will

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 10:32:29 pm
Go study anatomy of people AND trees first.  Until you have good basic art skills you will never be good at pixel-art, or any other art form either. 

I also think your general attitude towards critique needs improving.

Personally either redraw this paying close attention to the lineart before shading it; or scrap it and start on a small sprite or some tiles.  Until you can manage to create small detailed pieces you will never be able to pull-off something this big with a decent level of quality.

Sorry to sound harsh - but I have seen so many newbies make pieces like this and give up on pixelart altogether because they can't make it look good.  Stick with it - just perfect small pieces first.