AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] Tile set mock-up  (Read 5287 times)

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: [WIP] [C+C] Tile set mock-up

Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 07:30:42 am
He means you shift the hue down the spectrum as the shade changes (darker colors > more purple, midtones > brown, lighter colors more yellow). It gives a starker contrast that looks better because of the color variation and makes the forms in the tiles more readable.
Rock (monotone brown vs hue shift)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 09:22:34 am
i recognize two issues with your tiles right now.
One is, and that applies to all your art i've seen so far: your ramps are very linear, you barely shift the hues. you could try to be more bolt with it, just crank the slider up and down and see the effect, and also pay close attention to the color modifications in the numerous edits, like i mentioned in the other thread, a shadow is not just darker.

Secondly i am not sure if this is supposed to be dirt or rock. The colors suggest a dirt like surface, while the shapes seem more rock-inspired (although they honestly look like teeth to me, which is kind of creepy  :crazy: )

It's been a while since i've been doing some rocky business but i gave it a shot anyways:

A couple month ago i started a thread about rocks on here, lots of topics were touched and i learned a lot from it, maybe you can take something away from it as well.
It touches the topic of colors, hue changes, lighting, ambience and then some.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 10:01:52 am
i recognize two issues with your tiles right now.
One is, and that applies to all your art i've seen so far: your ramps are very linear, you barely shift the hues. you could try to be more bolt with it, just crank the slider up and down and see the effect, and also pay close attention to the color modifications in the numerous edits, like i mentioned in the other thread, a shadow is not just darker.

Secondly i am not sure if this is supposed to be dirt or rock. The colors suggest a dirt like surface, while the shapes seem more rock-inspired (although they honestly look like teeth to me, which is kind of creepy  :crazy: )

It's been a while since i've been doing some rocky business but i gave it a shot anyways:

A couple month ago i started a thread about rocks on here, lots of topics were touched and i learned a lot from it, maybe you can take something away from it as well.
It touches the topic of colors, hue changes, lighting, ambience and then some.

Some types of rock are made from dirt :P   
I was really aiming for a dirt kind of coloured rock tough my plan would be to have more variations of rock and layer them as you progress deeper into a cavern.
so this is surface rock / compressed dirt.
dark blues like Aamatniekss posted I would probably use for a rock tile set in deeper darker parts of a cavern.

i will have a read through your thread about rocks when i get a chance :P

i have been reading a couple of tutorials on colour.. im still struggleing with it but i started this new pallette :

im still struggleing to place the skin tone and black leggings into this Palette and i am not 100% i've got it right yet.

i quite like the 'hue'yer variation on the white that was originally being used for the charicters top, and i added a better range of blues to use on water.

Edit:

Managed to place the shades for the black trousers.
Skin tones keep turning orange or yellow when i'm trying to place them tough.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:36:39 am by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Magides

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 12:33:27 pm
I feel like the shape of the rocks remind me of teeth too much, since they fade to a sharp point like a tooth's root would.