AuthorTopic: Plug Character + 8 Directional Run & Idle  (Read 15920 times)

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: Top-down, 8-directional character

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 09:33:49 pm

added the gun and shit

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: Plugged Head Character

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 01:11:44 am

Also, I'm planning on doing the whole project using this palette, so I'd appreciate some critique on the colors. I did not make this palette, this is just a simplified version of Arne's "Japanese Machine" palette.

The goals are:
-black background
-4 colors per sprite, including the black
-complimentary color scheme in each sprite
-no real shading

So aside from the red and the green, I don't feel like I have the color combinations I need. I am totally unskilled at following decent color theory, but I like the vibe the palette has so if I could just get some help finding some new colors that would seamlessly coexist with the red and green, that'd be a good thing. I think I need a good purple and orange specifically, probably to replace the grey and the pink.

Am open to any and all input regarding that though.

E-

Did some thinking, and I went back to utilize more of the original palette's color choices, while also replacing a few of them with my own. I think this project will best fit a now 14-color palette.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:27:54 am by Kellawgs »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: Plug Character + Palette Help

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 05:05:20 pm
i think the new sprite is killer!!!  and i like your proposed palettes.  i think the colors will inspire creative backgrounds

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 06:52:45 pm
Dool dude, does the gaint plug serve any purpose?

I don't have anything for the dude himself, but as far as your palette is concerned, the near-black purple is pretty much indistinguishable from black to me.
The dark red and dark purple look similar enough that you could turn them into one colour if you ever needed more space. You might want to create a bit more contrast between them.
I also feel that the light blue is slightly too purple. The palette is quite purple as is.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:20:11 pm
Dool dude, does the gaint plug serve any purpose?

He'll pull tiles out of the floor and plug himself into them.

I don't have anything for the dude himself, but as far as your palette is concerned, the near-black purple is pretty much indistinguishable from black to me.
The dark red and dark purple look similar enough that you could turn them into one colour if you ever needed more space. You might want to create a bit more contrast between them.
I also feel that the light blue is slightly too purple. The palette is quite purple as is.

The near-black purple is to be used exclusively for minor details in the background. The game will have mostly just a black background though, sort of in the same sense that some NES games had black backgrounds. Also I don't know what I'm doing.

i think the new sprite is killer!!!  and i like your proposed palettes.  i think the colors will inspire creative backgrounds

Thanks man, I appreciate the comment.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 07:11:25 am

When shooting, he'll simply point the gun. Here's the deal, I don't know proper gun handling, and this is my best shot at getting the pose right.

Would appreciate some input on how I can make it look a little more natural.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 05:57:38 pm
In the real world, guns are lined up with the dominant eye.  So if you want to make it realistic you're going to have to move the gun up about 10 or so pixels, and move his head down 1-2 pixels.  Given the deformed nature of the character, I don't know if you'll be able to pull it off.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 03:33:36 am
In the real world, guns are lined up with the dominant eye.  So if you want to make it realistic you're going to have to move the gun up about 10 or so pixels, and move his head down 1-2 pixels.  Given the deformed nature of the character, I don't know if you'll be able to pull it off.

This is good knowledge and I'll probably see if I can make that look right, though given the fact that it's more of a robot than a person I kind of liked the more careless aim as if all that mattered was that it was pointed in the general direction.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 11:59:04 pm

I've cleaned this one up some, but immediately became stumped on the next pose. Here's my current best effort:

As you can tell it looks like trash, it's safe to say we can all expect to see me coming back for assistance as I approach every single frame of every sprite. Thanks!

E- I think it may help to put more thought into how the hypothetical skeleton of this guy would look and move.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:01:28 am by Kellawgs »