AuthorTopic: [C+C] Johan  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Johan

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 12:35:43 am
overall he looks a bit unbalanced leaning back to our left.
try moving left foot more left a bit.
head shape can use some adjustment give a bit more chin looks like his head angled down a bit chin tucked in which doesn't match relaxed pose.
sleeve bunches in like elastic doesn't match style of jacket.
shoulders could relax lower a little.
several shading issues like collar doesnt need nasty dark outline - try jusy making collar pieces brighter than nearby jacket with single pixel highlight to separate it from the shadow underneath.
drapery wrinkles should be redone can't think how to explain with words...

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 08:49:06 am
Good progress, but right now it lacks clarity.

You've set a general light source (top left), try to see where it extends and everything it affects.
Try to use a full range of contrast. I've included full black in there.
This is a great example of a white background skewing your values. From now on, don't work on a white background! It does you absolutely no good. Stick to neutrals.
The hair has 5 shades, all within a very small value range. The entire head suffers from low contrast, making it very hard to see anything.
You have darker values. Use them. Shade the face according to the light source. Check your anatomy.
Another tip, blonde hair is light and thin, so would be unlikely to create a shadow at the hairline.
I didn't touch the pants but they need reworking, it's a lot of noise in what looks like a lack of understanding of the form. Study from your reference how it works.

Offline ryuuzaki

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 03:07:32 pm
Update

What do you mean by defualt background?
I draw in paint and the defualt background here is white.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 07:36:02 pm
Ok if you're going to pixel for any significant amount of time, you need to drop Paint. It serves little purpose other than a toy.
Get GraphicsGale, it's free and you can save/load PNGs and set the default background color properly.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:41:04 am
Pixeling on a white background tricks your eyes into making bad choices. When I first went to art college, the first thing my teacher told me was to stop sketching on white paper. I ended up sketching with rust-colored pencils on a yellowish paper. When you start adding color, the problem becomes worse, as staring at the white will skew your vision towards bad colors, that tend to be recognizable to people who know the effect it has. There's few medium values, everything tends to be either very dark or very light (for example, the washed out face or the lack of highlights on the pants, as you wouldn't be able to make those out on a white background anyway). Then there's the computer screen, which worsens the problem even more. The problem is less when pixeling on a black background than a white, because a screen is a light source, making the white brighter than black. This also happens with paper, but in a lesser degree (like when you try to read on a sunny day and the paper is too bright, hurting your eyes).

So, what's the perfect background color? Well, the easiest one is medium gray, as that doesn't contain any bias. On a computer screen, however, there's already a slight bias towards brightness, as I discussed, so maybe a slightly darker than medium gray is better. There's also a bias towards coldness. Our eyes enjoy warm colors more than cold colors, so gray feels a little too cold/clinical. So, a lot of people use a slightly brownish, dark medium gray.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 12:00:04 pm
For game sprites, the very best background is an actual game background (scenery mockup). If you need a single color, choose one that has the same lightness and saturation as a typical piece of scenery in the game.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 12:19:17 pm
For game sprites, the very best background is an actual game background (scenery mockup). If you need a single color, choose one that has the same lightness and saturation as a typical piece of scenery in the game.
You can also take a game background from any game you like that inspires you and your game and blur it and use that as a background. This all requires a program that can handle layers of course.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 07:57:49 am

Quick edit I did.
Had I not read the title I wouldn't have recognized the character even though I have read the manga.
I think what you're missing most is Johan's ''feminine shapes''( not referring to curves here :crazy:). A thin face with a pointy chin. His body is also referenced as being thin enough for him to be confused with a young girl, currently yours looks a bit stocky.
I suggest sticking to the style of the manga/anime as much as possible, quite flat /cel-shading, minimal AA even. Simplify everything, Shading, body shapes, into a more angular direction to mimic the anime.
Nailing the haircut also goes a long way. I don't think the blue eyes are relevant at this size, if so a more muted, darker blue. It's not easy to convey his sense of cold apathy at this scale.

I echo previous comments about about lack of contrast and I didn't touch that in my edit.
Best of luck :y:   

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:15:58 pm by Reo »

Offline ryuuzaki

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 10:25:56 am
@Reo
Yes I agree with you on the "sense of cold apathy" I tried to capture it somehow but failed.
Black eyes and no white dots + some correct shading of yours seem to do the trick:

Can someone show me how to do proper contrast as a example on this sprite?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:33:29 am by ryuuzaki »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 01:55:44 pm
lol I realy love the progress you made!
But ,for me atleast, it's hard to read the nose
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]