AuthorTopic: [C+C] Johan  (Read 7187 times)

Offline ryuuzaki

• View Profile

[C+C] Johan

on: September 13, 2015, 09:00:15 pm

Looks pretty stiff, and the shading is not quite right, how can I improve it?

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Johan

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:09:42 pm
Hair is not yellow enough! :D
Other than that: I love it!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:20:05 pm by Pusty »
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:06 am
What i see in it is that the outline of the character especially on the hair is very odd.  The outline on the hair is almost lighter than the hair itself.

Another problem is with the clothes.  There is an odd complete absence of folds on the clothes.  Heres a good link for the different kinds of folds found in clothes: http://www.mightyartdemos.com/mightyartdemos-bradley.html.  The way that you shaded the clothes is also a little bizarre.  There are parts where the clothes are shaded to round, whereas ther should be some sharp edges or lines not just rounded parts.  Just look up reference and it should be easy to identify the different points of shadow and folds in a suit.

There are also some small problems with the anatomy and lighting but youre off to a very good start.  Just look up some reference to see that proportions of the human body and you should be fine.   :crazy:

(PS the feet are a bit big)
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:22:19 am
I'm pretty sure his hair is blonde.. ???

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:00:30 am
The hair is looking green on my screen.

Anyway, I also agree with you ryuuzaki in that the pose is looking stiff. It sort of looks like he's leaning back a little. I googled "power stance suit" and found this cool pic of Loki in a suit. It doesn't look that dissimilar to your pose.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/16/4b/b4/164bb4c4f441f27a00c96f4723b6c600.jpg

Loki is in a more interesting and dynamic pose. Also take a look at the folds in his suit. A lot of cool folds at the bottom of the pants leg, forearm and crotch area. Your character would definitely have similar wrinkles in the forearm the way he's currently posed. Probably only some light folds somewhere on the leg since the pants don't seems to reach the characters shoes. Also, you're missing the crease where the arm sleeve meets the jacket.

lol, so I'm about to get weird on you guys. There's a certain way a suit should look and fit on a man. Generally, the average human is 7 and 1/2 heads tall. Your character is 5 and 1/2 heads tall. If you're trying to go for something realistic, I'd recommend reworking your anatomy. Your character seems to lack a neck. If you want to keep it more stylized, I think you should make changes to the suit. Right now, since your anatomy is kind of off, it looks like you've got a short jacket or long pants that are also short. Or a mix of both. Here's how a nicely tailored suit should look on a man.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/09/25/good-fitted-suit-visual/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:04:31 am by heyguy »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:13:12 am
The "7-heads and half" has to be taken with a grain of salt because it doesn't account for hair, clothes, and assumes a horizontal angle of view.
But keep in mind that larger head/body ratio hints at a teen or child character (or SD style), and this can be contrary to what you try to represent.

About the pose, you can study how comics (or manga) draw characters in suits. These mediums tend to be extremely dynamic, it's easier to 'get' the extreme movements that they show, and apply a much more subtle thing in your drawings.
Another reference is the "Contrapposto" pose : It's very worthy to study and practice, because the resulting characters are less symmetric, much more interesting to draw and look at.
(There's lots of nude statues if you google image for it, here's a clothed example with a tutorial video : http://www.universityoffashion.com/lessons/male-contrapposto-pose/   )

Offline ryuuzaki

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 07:10:02 pm
Update

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:38 pm
I think it's way better but the left foot looks odd to me
Also with these eyebrows he looks way to evil/angry :P
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 11:57:52 am
arms r too short

Offline ryuuzaki

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 03:01:09 pm
Update: head, shading, left hand, right shoe, abit longer hands.

Does the left hand look better here or on the previous version?