AuthorTopic: [C+C] Stage Select Conundrums  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [C+C] Stage Select Conundrums

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 07:26:58 am
Yeah, Ryumaru explains it better. It's about distribution of details. How many areas are there with high detail, how many with low, medium, etc. If you go with a gauss distribution or golden ratio or similar, you end up with a similar visual distribution to the Sierpinski triangle, so it's a great reference for stuff like this. You'll find that people like Da Vinci were heavy into this stuff. To see it in the mega man screen, you need to squint, so it blurs a little. If you squint, everything is still recognizable, a lot of detail is still visible, etc. If I squint on yours, the skulls become blobs (since they only contain high detail), the rest becomes big swats of color and the bread stays just the same (aka, there's probably some medium detail lacking in it).

High detail is something like AA or single pixel outlines (the skull is almost fully high detail).
Medium detail is something like shading or the facial features on the bread or the text.
Low detail is just the big swats of color, like for example the square shapes.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:56:03 am
Well, I still find the whole thing sort of confusing but the explanation helps. Because, when you look at the Mega Man screen, everything is distributed in a square (not a triangle) and the level of detail (to me eyes) is the same for each robot (I don't see Mega Man as being more detailed than the other guys). But from what I understand, it's more like about the frame surrounding each robot and the way it's organized.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 11:04:03 am
You're definitely taking the triangle too literally. It's about how much each level of detail exists within the image. There's 1x giant triangle, 3x big triangles, 9x mid triangles etc. The idea is that you want to weigh the different level of details against each other.

So hopefully to help clarify in very loose and simplistic terms to just help you understand, certainly not to be taken literally: To translate this to what Gil said there should be 1x "Low detail is just the big swats of color, like for example the square shapes." to every 3x "Medium detail is something like shading or the facial features on the bread or the text." to every 9x "High detail is something like AA or single pixel outlines (the skull is almost fully high detail)."

You have a lot of large flat areas and a lot of small high detail but not much medium level detail.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 11:47:30 am
I don't see Mega Man as being more detailed than the other guys
Of course not. The portraits all have the same medium density, while the borders are high density and the background is low density. So the background is like the big triangles, the portraits are smaller triangles, the borders are even smaller triangles.

And again, I'm not talking about actual triangles of course, but how they are distributed across the image. I could tell you the actual math, but that wouldn't be very useful.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:58:36 am by Gil »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 01:18:05 pm
background is low density. So the background is like the big triangles, the portraits are smaller triangles, the borders are even smaller triangles.

Ahhhhh ok! I understand better then. I would have thought that the portrait should have been high detail as opposed to the border of the frames.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 08:04:15 pm
High detail is definitely a viable way to create focus, but certainly not the only way. If you look at any anime, the backgrounds always have far higher detail, but the flat shaded characters on top stand out due to outlines, higher contrast, and the fact that they move! Creating a focal point then is more about disparity ( how different the area is from somewhere else) than it is about any one element such as high detail, saturation, etc. ( but feel free to use multiple elements to enhance the effect)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 10:14:47 pm
Alright, so I read each message about the triangle setup thing repeatedly but I still don’t understand, even with you guys' explanations. I have the feeling this is something very complex because I can’t find a clear explanation about the concept. Everybody seem to have “sort of” an idea but I’m under the impression no one really “gets it” so to speak. Unless I'm mentally retarded.

So what I did as I did 8 different concepts for the boxes, which I also moved closer like Decroded suggested. I also added the animation at the back like he also said.

I’d like to know which one of the 8 concepts works best please.

As for the triangle thing, I think it’s one of those things which I’ll only understand if someone does a demonstration with an edit so don’t bother writing about it. I mean, you’d just be wasting your time as I wouldn’t understand it anyway.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 05:55:43 am
I kind of get what the other people are saying about detail distribution, but I don't necessarily agree. I like the borderless boxes best.

Oh, and not necessarily a commentary on the art, but it would be pretty nifty if when you select a stage, toast pops out of the selected toaster, off the top of the screen, then falls back down directly in front of the screen to function as a screen transition.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 01:30:45 pm
Quote from: PsylentKnight
Oh, and not necessarily a commentary on the art, but it would be pretty nifty if when you select a stage, toast pops out of the selected toaster, off the top of the screen, then falls back down directly in front of the screen to function as a screen transition.

That's a great idea, very creative!  :y:Don't mind if end up using it.

Quote from: PsylentKnight
I kind of get what the other people are saying about detail distribution, but I don't necessarily agree. I like the borderless boxes best.

Well, what is it that you understand? What low level, mid level and high level detail in there? Would the animation count as "high level" (the big triangle?) Because if you sort of understand than you're one step ahead of me  :D.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 02:03:53 pm
Well, what is it that you understand? What low level, mid level and high level detail in there? Would the animation count as "high level" (the big triangle?) Because if you sort of understand than you're one step ahead of me  :D.
The big triangle is low level. I need some help here, as I can't seem to explain it to you. The problem is that it seems super basic to me, so I don't know how to explain it.