AuthorTopic: [C+C] Enish  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

[C+C] Enish

on: September 04, 2015, 03:43:23 pm

(thing on his face is supposed to be diamond)
So how do I improve it?
Gif of the making + face

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:32:40 pm by Dnilb »

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Enish

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:49:29 pm
First off there are the ever so common problems with the anatomy and broken shoulders (namely the one on screen right) but other than that it is a great improvement from not only some of your past art but a huge improvement from your very first. 

The main problem i have with this guy is the design.  His design makes very little sense with the diamonds mystically adhered to the side of his jaw.  Another problem with it is the main factor of differentiation of this man from other is the diamonds stuck to his face.  When there is a design feature like this it should be reused so as not to seem completely random and out of nowhere as it is now.  What i mean by reused is that you should incorporate into other places in the design. 

Another small point on the design is the clothes are creative but not very practical and make no sense modern fashion-wise and just regular clothing-wise.

Your execution of the diamonds is kinda odd.  Due to how much noise there is in it and how little unity of colour there is it looks like either blue sno-cone or some other type of fine blue crystals (meth?).  You should look at some tutorials pixelart or not to see how to properly execute diamond.
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:40:39 am
In addition to IF's points I would suggest you study general anatomy. It's gonna be a long uphill battle of wonky characters and you will turn to it eventually, might as well save time.
The left elbow wouldn't be visible like that. The straps betray any sense of depth because they don't follow a form, so he looks flat.
I can see what pose you're going for, but that one is awkward. Do it in front of a mirror and you'll see what I mean.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:31:40 am
One of the give-aways that something went wrong is that the arms are of dramatically different length. If you look at the hands, you see they are next to each other, yet one arm is bent, the other is not.

I agree that studying anatomy is a necessity if you want to draw stuff like this.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:33:31 pm
Real quick unfinished edit. I'll do more to it if you do more to yours. ;)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 06:45:04 pm
Remade him:
I want to know if pose and proportions are on point before I polish him up.

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:44:28 pm
I certainty don't possess a lot of knowledge on anatomy, but I made a quick sketch that follows a similar pose to your character, I'm sure someone could provide a more accurate example though.

I think the thing that's throwing me off about your sprite is that he doesn't look like he's firmly planted on the ground. I think giving him a more pronounced curve on his back from the spine to push his torso back more would counteract him leaning forward so much. The sprite seems far to blocky and stiff, as oppose to the natural curve that humans seem to have.

And as IrresponsibleFreelancer mentioned above, I really don't think the diamonds are working; especially in a technical sense since they just don't read as diamonds. Putting anatomy to the side, having the diamonds there is really up to you since the design of this is pretty subjective. Overall, I still think this newer version is a improvement over the previous.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:57:28 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:58:53 pm
Thanks for advice, I have a question, did you draw this sketch with mouse?

As for design, I want him to have some kind of diamond/crystal covering his cheek, is there a way to make it look better then in my version?

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 06:15:22 pm
Drew that using a mouse. I would recommend using a tablet if you do have one though, all the pros seem to use one :P

At this resolution it certainly will be tricky to make them read as diamonds. Imo, I would try to fix everything first then move onto the diamonds after, so you can focus more on the actual facial structure. I do however suggest trying to make them as simple as possible, else they might end up looking like noise if you pack them with highlights.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:18:49 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 06:05:37 pm
I hope its better then before:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:56:17 pm by Dnilb »