AuthorTopic: [C+C] Hook Droid  (Read 1577 times)

Offline bitsnpxls

• View Profile

[C+C] Hook Droid

on: December 29, 2015, 03:02:26 pm
Hello all!

New user here. I present to you; my very first creation!

It is supposed to be some sort of droid with some sort of hooks for hands. :D
My feeling about this piece is that it lacks that "technological touch" a droid should present, but I can't really put my finger on it.

Also, I'm not quite sure about the shading and highlights. I used separate layers for them both, black with 50% opacity for shades and white with 50% opacity for highlights. Is using this method considered "cheating"?

Any comments, hints or advice would be most appreciated.

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Hook Droid

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:14:02 pm
Really cool design, but there are some things that majorly take away from it.

The dithering doesn't benefit it at all. i assume you tried to imply a dirty, rocked out kind of texture, which is pretty hard to do at that scale without single pixel noise. i certainly don't know how to do it :P Speaking of single pixels, the brown dots are really just distracting from the design. is it rust, scratches, dents? if in doubt, leave them out, sometimes less is more.
Your general design looks like something out of dragonball. the bulky armor parts with round edges remind me of quite a lot of the designs you can find there. Look at cell, or the robot that small goku finds in the pirate cave. However the hooks, clamps or whatever look detached and don't fit the general purpose of the droid. They look lost and without purpose. I tried to integrate them into the arms so it looks like they have a specific use.
A technological touch can be achieved through several things. Using materials/shading that reflects the actual thing (i.e. metal/polymers for a droid) and hint at seams where platings connect or add hard edges for lighting and shadows to imply that its not a soft surface.

for your coloring method, i wouldnt consider it cheating, as this is a method that is used in digital painting a lot (at least in a similar sense). However, simply darkening or lightening a color to shade and highlight will create a dull and muddy feeling. Shades tend towards cooler colors, while highlights tend towards warm colors (although this has a lot to do with the environment surrounding the object, but its a good general rule of thumb).

Anyways, couldn't prevent myself from editing this. Like i said, really cool design :D

Offline bitsnpxls

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Hook Droid

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:12:08 pm
Wow! It looks so much better now.  :y:

I love the way you've split up the larger plates into smaller ones, it really takes it where I wanted it to go.

I'm glad you liked my original design. And you guessed it, I was trying to imply some kind of dirty look to it. Before the brown dots, I thought it looked a little empty so I added them in an attempt to make it a little more interesting. Looking at your version, I really don't know what I was thinking.  :lol:

I noticed your version is also more symmetric, which off course adds to the "droid-like" feeling. I actually tried to avoid symmetry 'cause I was afraid it would look too stiff. Once again I find myself wondering what I was thinking since this clearly is what you want when creating robots/droids.

You've given me a lot to think about and I can't wait to create something new with your pointers in mind! Thanks.