AuthorTopic: [C+C] Walking  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Salbeira

• View Profile

[C+C] Walking

on: September 08, 2015, 12:34:28 am
So I did my very first try on animating a character. I read up a bit on walking animations and the like and chose an 8 frame walking animation.
The legs still feel a bit wonky to me, and I am never sure how the hell peoples shoulders move when walking at a faster pace.

So I got two .gifs for you to roast:

And one with arms --- I chose some kind of shoulderpads to make the position of the arms and the shouldermovement more severe ... I don't know if adding the shoulder"waggle" is a good idea though:

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Walking

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:26:33 am
There are a few problems with your walking cycles that i see. 

The bobbing timing is off for the body.  Im not quite sure exactly but it seems to appear to be about 2x as fast as it should be.  Remember that the body doesnt actually bob manually, it bobs as the legs extend and force the body higher or lower.  To have the body moving up and down faster than the legs doesn t make sense.

The second thing is that when the legs are raised they kick out before landing on a foot in the walk cycle.  The way you have it the feet are placed down after being raised, not kicked out as if catching themself as it really is. 

There are also some banding issues with the shoulder pads that you added to your little dude there.  Heres a good thing on banding http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=8110.20  youll find it somewhere in that
thread

Finally there is also the issue where it is a bit tough to distinguish the legs apart as they cross.  A possible solution to this is to make the hind leg darker than the front one.

Heres some good ref:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Salbeira

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Walking

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:47:46 am
I did a quick edit to that. I kept the shoulders (mostly) steady and changed the colors and angle of the legs.

The "bop" on the body actually happens when one of the feet is pushing up.