AuthorTopic: Player Character Animations  (Read 36734 times)

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Re: Player Character Animations

Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 03:38:45 am
And just trucking along...

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 06:37:39 pm
normally with your sprites  the  S/w s/e n/w n/e views dont look weird, cause they're bipeds, but the  S/w s/e are looking weird, the face is obviously not from that projection. The n/w n/e legs are also looking weird, they dont connect like you would expect for that perspective, I dont know what rationale you used to incline the lines there but it looks off

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 07:10:40 pm
The lines used are isometic, one pixel for up and two pixels for over. Maybe it follows too closely? Is the back too straight?

I think the issue with the head in the SW/SE is that the further antler should be higher to suggest it is further back. I'll play with that and see if it hels.

Can you clarify what you mean about the legs? Their offset from front to back falls directly on isometric grid square lines. Do you mean the spacing between front and back pairs?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:16:22 pm by Shipright »

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 06:55:51 am
I am working on the other walking directions of the deer, it is tedious and time consuming. To keep myself moving I switched to something else tonight.

Its supposed to be an osprey, and sized to be able to stand on my player characters shoulder or arm. I would like to do a series of birds off this base. My question to you all is how does this read? Does it look like a bird of prey to you or just a glorified chicken/seagull?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 02:32:45 pm
It doesn't read very bird of prey yet, but I don't see how you could improve on that really. I feel like the problem is the beak. The black forehead and black beak kind of meld together, I would really highlight the beak as that's what screams predator to me.

A second point is shoulder or arm. Bird on shoulder = pirate, bird on arm = always hunting bird. If you manage to get the bird on my character's arm, even if it looks like a parrot, I'll still think hunting bird.

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 02:06:26 am
It doesn't read very bird of prey yet, but I don't see how you could improve on that really. I feel like the problem is the beak. The black forehead and black beak kind of meld together, I would really highlight the beak as that's what screams predator to me.

I think that may just be an issue with the Osprey in particular due to its color scheme. I was going for an easily recolorable sprite so I could bash out flavor art real quick and that color scheme (gray and black) was easy to create a pallet for. Here is the same sprite but colored and slightly modified to be a Harris Hawk:

Does that improve the read? Here it is with the player character for size. The sprite is about 1.6ft tall in game scale.

A second point is shoulder or arm. Bird on shoulder = pirate, bird on arm = always hunting bird. If you manage to get the bird on my character's arm, even if it looks like a parrot, I'll still think hunting bird.

I didn't think about that and its a really good point. This is still 100% an art project but since form follows function the in game RPG rational is that these would be hyprid pets/equipment. Some birds would act as passive stat boosters that are equipped to the shoulders slot. Parrot gives charisma, Raven gives constitution, owl gives intelligence, etc. Other birds would be more like weapons and be equiped to an arm slot, and they could be actively used for some utility as a glorified Zelda boomerang such as the Osprey being able to get to deep water fish spots without a boat, the Harris Hawk can be used to hunt small animals without spooking them, etc. Then the bigger eagles can be actual offensive weapons verse mobs.

That's where I am coming from.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:15:16 am by Shipright »

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 08:13:52 am
A larger template for an eagle, with what I hope is an obvious species selection :)

I know I am messing up the shading. I just am not good at it yet. The only thing that makes me able to tolerate it is that eventually I will remove all the shading anyway and apply int with a matching normal map when I put these into an engine.

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 07:04:36 am
I found some motivation to return to my player character. This is one of three idles, the "winded" one intended to act as a visual cue to the player that their stamina is significantly depleted.

I found this far easier to do then a mild normal idle so I pushed forward and will work backwards from here. Which doesn't mean I did a good job so critique away! The third idle will be an exhausted animation for when stamina is gone and will served during what I imagine would me a movement penalty.

I also experimented with adding a mouth. It won't always be there but I intend to use it for exaggerated expressions like gasping for air here or maybe a warcry and such.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 08:56:33 am
his traps shouldn't expand with his breath.

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: February 20, 2016, 09:37:24 pm
Aren't those on your back?