AuthorTopic: How does scaling work in a game with Pixel sprites?  (Read 12279 times)

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Re: How does scaling work in a game with Pixel sprites?

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 08:22:41 pm
I'm not convinced you can notice it at 7 or 8 times scale. Maybe we should do the test? Here's a classic Pawige piece in 750%. Does anyone notice that not all pixels are equally big? I can't spot it.

I notice it on some of the stand out pixels, such as the iron sight. But overall, you're right it is difficult to notice.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 10:54:49 pm
Here's an illustration of the problem I referred with moving sprites, here with a 450% zoom :

The non-zoomed version, as a comparison (use forum zoom to try various integer factors).

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 11:19:10 pm
Here's an illustration of the problem I referred with moving sprites, here with a 450% zoom :

The non-zoomed version, as a comparison (use forum zoom to try various integer factors).

I just don't see the advantage of NOT building in the functionality for pixel art based games. It's not that difficult, and it can be very skillfully done. Getting that pixel perfect look on every resolution is 100% worth it in my opinion.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 05:53:51 am
Of course it's not going to work at 450%, that was my whole point. I said it will only start working at around 7 to 8 times scale, probably more.

And yes, I personally wouldn't stretch/squash pixels, but then again, I said I was never going to rotate pixels and I'm doing just that for my latest game prototype.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 07:27:49 am
I didn't mean to contradict you :) I provided illustration of a slightly different issue - at 450% because it's easier to notice the effect, at 750% it also becomes hard to notice.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 12:20:37 pm
Of course it's not going to work at 450%, that was my whole point. I said it will only start working at around 7 to 8 times scale, probably more.

And yes, I personally wouldn't stretch/squash pixels, but then again, I said I was never going to rotate pixels and I'm doing just that for my latest game prototype.

I also thought the same, but I too am rotating my characters arms and bow, because for me to model in that many angles would take far more time than I have.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 01:48:31 pm
I didn't mean to contradict you :) I provided illustration of a slightly different issue - at 450% because it's easier to notice the effect, at 750% it also becomes hard to notice.
Ah yeah, gotcha. You do have a point that perfectly linear motion is the bane of stuff like this.

Offline Kepler4

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 05:33:20 am
I get it now. Thanks guys, I was really overthinking it.

The game is made in a low res to create the art style then those original pixels become "pixel shapes" created by several pixels on a higher res monitor. For some reason I'm not sure what I was thinking before but I'm glad I understand now.

I'm assuming if I use something like Paper2D this stuff will already be built into the engine, correct?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:35:27 am by Kepler4 »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 07:26:54 am
I'm assuming if I use something like Paper2D this stuff will already be built into the engine, correct?
Most engines these days DON'T have it built in, but there's usually quite a few ways to handle it. The texture filtering you want is nearest neighbor (doesn't blur pixels).

Offline Kepler4

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 02:53:17 am
Most engines these days DON'T have it built in, but there's usually quite a few ways to handle it. The texture filtering you want is nearest neighbor (doesn't blur pixels).

Well I guess I'll have to inquire about that when I get to it.

Does OS resolution scaling matter much? I'm looking into a new monitor with good color accuracy and I want to make sure I don't choose something with a very high DPI if that is going to mess with my work.