AuthorTopic: [C+C] Some pixel art i found a while back ;-;  (Read 5321 times)

Offline EEVV

• Incoming programmer, FAYA ZE MISAILS1!1!!11!!!
    • scaryeye27
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Some pixel art i found a while back ;-;

Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 08:04:31 pm
We can see somewhere around tens of millions of colors, why limit to 4bit, 8 bit?
This is the corner stone of the pixel medium, actually. We are free from color constraint most of the time, but we decide to limit the number of colours for artistical and practical reasons:
 - it allows us to focus on clusters and create readable details;
 - it allows us to animate things;
 - it allows us to bring homogeneity to a piece.

I think you will find many of the "treasure chest" threads feature art with limited palettes.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

Offline EEVV

• Incoming programmer, FAYA ZE MISAILS1!1!!11!!!
    • scaryeye27
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Some pixel art i found a while back ;-;

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 08:07:32 pm
Even if we can see 10 million colors, the brain still simplifies that and doesn't keep track of every single color you see unless you're intentionally comparing them.
What matters more is the relationship between colors rather than the amount.

Not to mention it's much easier to work with less colors, you get so much clearer shapes, easier for the brain to digest.

Also, by adding an excessive amount of noise, you're just removing the shape and making it harder to read.

Actually i believe i did a paint over using a brush in gimp, but i wanted to get a dark style, since they have to have dust/oil on them, and i wasnt really aware of dithering, even if i an now, i see that it would be hard to implement with this style in mind :(