AuthorTopic: Ninja HUD/GUI  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Les_Claycool

• View Profile

Ninja HUD/GUI

on: August 10, 2015, 05:39:28 pm

The actual avatar part is a WIP, still rough.  But the rest I was just looking for CC on looks kinda bland/flat.  Maybe the lack of shading, but with a highlight it looked wierd as well.  Let me know what you think guys!

Offline AimlessZealot

• View Profile

Re: Ninja HUD/GUI

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:23:28 pm
I don't know if the project you're doing allows for this dynamic of sprites, but you might consider borrowing from Chinese Calligraphy strokes instead of using bars as it will better fit the aesthetic. I stuck to using the colors that you used in the piece already to give you a mockup of how using calligraphic strokes would change the piece:

With a few more colors mixed in to create smoother gradients, I think you could make them very sharp and you might consider animating the bar removal as dissolving the ink and leaving behind a stain on the paper to show their size afterwards.

Feel free to use anything in the image above. I hope it helps :)

Good luck and great job!

Offline Les_Claycool

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:31:26 pm
Conceptually yes I like that idea a lot, and definitely I will give it an attempt.  But in the meantime, I am more so looking for CC on the actual shape and shading of the scroll, basically if there was nothing on it.  Should have mentioned that in the original post.  But no the less thanks for the idea, opens my head more.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:44:45 pm by Les_Claycool »

Offline AimlessZealot

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:53:34 pm
I strongly believe when in doubt, analyze real life sources.

I notice in this ancient scroll that there's a lot of blotchy aging of the paper from wear and tear. The shading across the rolls varies pretty smoothly and the glossy quality of the paper makes even ancient paper have highlight shines from smoothness. There is also heavier shading under the rolls from the shadow made by the rolls. Also, if this is a japanese hand scroll like it looks, there is only one wooden core (notice in the reference above there is only one rod in it). Two rods are for larger messenger/archival scrolls that tie shut and then you're missing the ribbon.

Offline Les_Claycool

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:01:24 pm
Okay, although it is for a Naruto game and the scrolls never are torn really I decided to go ahead and go for a more rustic look.  Big improvement I think, however still not sure if I'm happy with it, something looks weird to me, and I think it has something to do with the shape/shading of the dowel rolled part.  Also haven't added rips to bottom part, and some shading is mirrored but i plan on varying it a little.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:04:13 pm by Les_Claycool »

Offline AimlessZealot

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:43:18 pm
You are missing shading on the right side of the dowel. Your light source appears to be directly infront of the scroll so if the left side is curved enough to be shaded, the right side should as well.