AuthorTopic: [C&C] Seated Pose  (Read 3437 times)

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

[C&C] Seated Pose

on: August 08, 2015, 08:34:05 pm
I created this pose to work on foreshortening (a little bit) as well as drawing people.  Here is the reference i used and i kinda cheatsy doodled by copying it pretty closely but stuffing my own character into it.The refererence is of killua from hunter x hunter sitting.  I am completely open to critiques and would love to hear what people have to say about it and how to improve it.
Here is my rendition:

Reference:

*also how do you put something under spoiler so its not so huge like my ref?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:39:57 am by IrresponsibleFreelancer »
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Re: [C&C] Seated Pose

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 08:46:51 pm
So, wait, I don't think I see the actual image you created? All I'm seeing is your large reference image.
Eriophora Zia

Offline AimlessZealot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:43:50 am
I think you're off to a good start but there's a few issues here.
First, working from a drawn reference for anatomy is never advised. The one you are basing your work off of has some flaws which you, as the secondary artist, are unfortunately going to inherit. Let me provide you a reasonable reference image to compare to your character's position so I can describe them:

Her pose has a lot of similarities to the one you are trying to match so makes a good comparison.

First, notice that she leans towards her left and her hips and shoulders do not align. This is important because it explains why her hand on the floor is load-bearing for her. In your reference image the character's hips and shoulder are stacked and he has a leg down for additional support on that side. Him supporting himself with that hand is very problematic.

Second, notice where her head vs shoulder placement is. Her ears are a half a head above her shoulders with her neck exposed whereas your reference has his ears practically resting on the shoulders and no neck. It is possible that your reference is being seen from higher, but that would foreshorten the distance between the floor side of the lower leg and the supporting hand. He appears to have a similar height difference from the hand on the ground to the down-leg so one of these two measurements is incorrect.

Last, the vertical leg has no connection to the body. Right above where his two heels are there should be an edge to the hip showing but it isn't. If his hip were that far over, he'd need to lean to the opposite side and support himself with that hand instead.

Your pixel art is off to a very good start but I heavily, heavily recommend making sure to use real-life references even when doing work from an anime source because you never want to inherit the mistakes of another artist.

Good luck and great job!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:05 am
AimlessZealot, I think you are misinterpreting his source? Obviously the arm is not load-bearing, as it's the grip of the other arm on the knee that creates the stability. This forces the whole torso forward, including head, so all of that is foreshortened and the neck is behind the head.

So yeah, in other words, your reference is in a completely different pose. It's probably closer to this:

Notice, straight hips, neck behind head, no load bearing of lower arm.

Offline AimlessZealot

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 05:52:44 pm
You might be right, though I think that model's vertical leg is cocked slightly out and all of the quickly searched images appear to suggest the same thing for others in a similarly supported position. That said, that might be a quirk of not searching/experimenting enough myself and your description is certainly a good one. I retract much of my crit. Live and learn!

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:18:13 pm
The length and lack of foreshortening, along with the head position, indicate that the vertical leg is tucked closely to the body.  The problem is that the other leg somehow goes behind it.