AuthorTopic: [C+C] Bear Pixel Character [edit: idle animation]  (Read 2707 times)

Offline XbearT

• View Profile

[C+C] Bear Pixel Character [edit: idle animation]

on: July 25, 2015, 07:50:55 pm
Hello! This is my first time posting. I would appreciate critique on this pixel bear character I've done, as:

Some issues I'm concerned about are:
- if the sprite is readable (specially at 100%/200%)
- the outline color ( I simply can't figure out a proper outline colour, a tutorial I read suggested dark-purplish, saturated colors)
- if there appears to be any problems with the anatomy
- The idea of using desaturated blue hues was to give the idea of a black bear (like Baloo from the disney movie)

Edit: Oh I forgot, the scarf is placed like that because I'll make an idle animation of this later on, so don't mind that for now.

Edit 2: Sorry about the image going missing, I deleted the old one but forgot to add the new one with the edits  (i.e fixed the anatomy and scarf), since they're technically small edits I'm not supposed to post again:

Anywayas, thanks to PypeBros for the input (can't believe I forgot to reference from a photo   :-[) I'm not really putting him on any background yet so if the outline is good as it is I won't change it.

Thanks in advance if you take the time to read and comment on this post.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:05:09 am by XbearT »
I'm on DeviantArt as FTF9.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [C+C] Bear Pixel Character

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:13:51 pm
He's a nice bear, I can read that. You've done a great job.

His "hands" might be missing, but I haven't checked reference bear picture lately.
I'm a bit unsure at the lighter shade under his scarf. If he's got a skin belly, maybe it'll work. If he's supposed to have a winnie-style belly, likely the part that would catch light would be lower.

The desaturated blue doesn't really convey "it's a black bear", but that doesn't seem completely odd either (I never thought of Balloo as a black bear, anyway). The outline color seems appropriate, but it can truly be told only when placing the character on the sort of color he's expected to stand against.

The way the scarf sticks out of his neck is a bit weird. Even with strong wind, you'd see more movement than this, imho.

You seem to have given him antromorpic-sized legs. Bears legs appear to be much shorter compared to their body, as far as quick google image and Balloo references can tell.

HTH.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:06:45 am by PypeBros »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:54:26 am
I can't see the image anymore.
I saw it the other day.

Offline XbearT

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:38:35 am
Hey there guys, so I tried animating him (emphasis on tried) as an idle animation, just breathing and such, and this as far as I could go.

I tried to do the entire animation in just 8 frames, but it definitely feels like there needs to be more time between exhale and inhale cycle, not to mention it doesn't look that smooth. I also couldn't get the chest to look like it was expanding/contracting during the breathing cycle.
The shading and some missing details are so it's a bit easier to edit for me as it is, once I get it to look right I'll refine what's missing.
So any C+C on these issues (and any other you might notice) would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Thought it might help that I actually added the frames of the animation
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:08:49 pm by XbearT »
I'm on DeviantArt as FTF9.