AuthorTopic: [C+C] First Character Sprite  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

[C+C] First Character Sprite

on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:25 am
Hi all!

This is my first post here, I'm starting also with this all stuff of pixel art.

I've been reading a lot about the theory and it's time for some action, so I want to share with you one of my very first pixel pieces so you can give some feedback, if you want to...  :)

I'm pretty proud of the result (keeping in mind that I'm noob at this) and I really want to improve my skills. My intention was to keep the count of the colors low, and my greater concern is if maybe they need some more contrast and maybe the outlines should be lighter.

Thanks in advance!  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:18:30 pm by Boraka »

Offline transilience

• View Profile

Re: First Character Sprite

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:24 pm
This looks like a really good start to me.

I'd focus on contrast of the colors more, and maybe change up the background as right now it leads more to the monotone feeling of the sprite.

If you're looking to up the detail, consider branching into Anti-aliasing and increasing the color count.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:06:50 am
Hey Boraka, welcome to Pixelation   :)

This is a great start. Here is an edit to the face, I want to show you a different way of thinking. I got a little too into it 'cause I liked your character so much.

You can make huge progress if you internalize a simple mindset: Pixels as a medium are very much like oil painting, or neo-impressionism—with a few technical considerations.
Why? Because at this resolution details like fine lines can't been seen in the same way. So for example the hair strands you placed aren't working as well as you intended.

Coming from another medium like drawing, which is line-heavy, it's intuitive to use outlines to delineate the different parts. Everyone does it. But is it working for you or against you? In most cases, it detracts from your piece.
A second point about outlines. You may have heard about banding. Well, any time you have a single pixel-width outline separating two colors, like the bottom edge of her hair, you create banding.

In time you will develop a keen eye for it, but for now your basic anti-banding strategy is this: any time you see the edges of two tiles line up, figure out how to shift one of them! It takes a lot of practice, especially in small areas like the eyes, to figure out just the right combination, but work at it and you will get better.

Why does banding matter? Because it artificially lowers the resolution of your work. Just by shaving the outline between her cheek and hair, I converted the banding to anti-aliasing. AA is simply a buffer, or transitional color between two larger shapes—or clusters, as Helm calls them.

Basic principles:
  • Convert lines and shading to tones/patches of color. See nose for example
  • Use details sparingly. You don't have much room to express your ideas, so it's better to choose what you want to emphasize
  • Use pure black carefully. On computer screens it's a very powerful color, and especially should not be used for outlines.
  • As a baseline, ask, 'would it be this color in real life?' For example the ink on her arm would be brighter, even if it were 'pure' black. Of course any style considerations will change this baseline.

Try to rework it based on some of these ideas. I probably forgot something, if you want to know why I did something specifically just ask.

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:51:48 am
Thanks so much for the feedback, especially you, Joe, for taking the time to do some editing illustrating what are you talking about.

You are very accurate saying that pixeling is much more painting than drawing, and unfortunately I'm pretty much used to drawing (as you have noticed).

I'm taking the tips, and I'm working in a new version trying to fix some issues. I will work mainly in the outline and I will try to add some AA in order to get the picture smoother, also I will check the colors (I have to admit I'm not so proud of it). I will post it when it's ready ;D

I like so much learning, so I hope it will be a funny process!!

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:55:41 am
Hi again!

I've been doing some edit and I think (modesty apart xD) than the result is pretty good

I have to work in now mainly in hair and colors, but I see a huge improvement.

Thank you, guys  :-[

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] First Character Sprite

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:11:03 pm
Last update

I've changed the lower-left part of the hair, I think it works better now, it's pretty far less noisy (maybe it looks a little plastic...  ???)

I've added some techno-background and a gear framing the picture (I'm not very happy with the steel texture).

Next steps are to add some green secondary light to the character coming from the neon numbers (like the one in the gear's edges) and to achieve a better color pallete, in general.

Thanks, all comments are highly apreciated.

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] First Character Sprite

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 08:49:52 pm
Hi there again. I have a new Update here!

I've added the green secondary light, it's the first time that I do such thing and I'm not pretty sure if the lightsources are well defined or not... In the other hand I think the character is a lot more integrated with the frame and the background so I suppose the idea of the secondary light is working as intended...

I would like you guys to give me some criticism so I could know what can I inprove and work on it.