AuthorTopic: New to Pixeling  (Read 22193 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: New to Pixeling

Reply #40 on: September 15, 2006, 03:47:32 pm
I know it well enough. Can anyone point me to the pixel snap function? Everyone says it's there, but noone actually ever showed me where, until then, I stand by my case...

And using shift on the line tool only allows for 45° lines, what if I just want a random line?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 03:59:43 pm
I am not talking about shift-click when using the line tool. Shows how good you know photoshop :P

Select the pencil tool click somewhere, hold down shift, click somewhere else = line from first to second clickpoint.

I am investigating the pixelsnap thing now.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 04:00:22 pm
There are snap to pixel options for the rounded rectangle tools for example, I don't know any for the pencil tool though. Yet still, you can pixel perfectly fine with it, there's a crosshair in the middle of the square area representing the pixel, this defines where the pixel is being put. Concerning drawing lines with the pencil tool: just keep SHIFT pressed and click anywhere, this will draw a line between your current position and the last one you used.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: September 15, 2006, 04:02:41 pm
And make sure you have no opacity on your brush set on pressure, that would fuck up as well if you are in indexed more quite badly.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 05:15:05 pm
Photoshop, whilst not built for pixel-art, handles it very well.  Its the only program I use.  If you want hotkeys/shortcuts, go EDIT > Keyboard Shortcuts.  There is where you can customise everything.  Pencil tool, fill tools, color /contrast adjustment tools are the only tools i really use. 

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #45 on: September 15, 2006, 06:11:28 pm
just the last few posts discussing how ps snaps to the pixel grid is enough example of what I was talking about before. If you have to do all these things just to get a snappy single pixel... well.

I have extensive experience with psp and pixelling, back at 3-4-5-6 versions, and up to about there it was pretty ok. Less dumbing down to do, a nifty color-replacer tool, easy to make dither brushes... pretty good indexing. Not bad.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #46 on: September 15, 2006, 07:30:46 pm
Paint Shop Pro 6 was decent for pixeling yes, and it came bundled with Animation Shop 3, which was pretty good (though it had some dumb dirty compression for animations that kept coming up on mine, even if I turned it off). I just started using GG because it was easier and bundled the functions in one program (and animation previews of course).

And yeah, I agree with Helm, even if you do find a way to get PhotoShop set up correctly, it's too much hassle. Anyway, even if you get all that stuff right, how are PhotoShop's animation skills? I've seen the tools are there, but I never used those...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 15, 2006, 07:46:10 pm
nearly every tool in photoshop thta yould need to pixel with can be set to snap with a a click or two right on the main interface.  if you dont like going through all that, just make a palette and set it to indexed color.  its a bit rigid, but indexed color actually does make photoshop somewhat decent for pixelart, though when freeware exists that is so much easier to use, why would you bother with a $400-1000 program series like PS?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: September 15, 2006, 09:07:20 pm
yeh, for just pixelart ps would be a bit stupid.

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: September 15, 2006, 09:13:02 pm
I use Photoshop, because it is what I have, and cost me $$$.  Why is Photoshop stupid?  It is because it is overkill?  I would like to know the features I am missing using photoshop. 

I can get the ball rolling, Photoshop has no elegant palette handling.  What else!  I must own the ultimate pixel-pushing software! 

:)