AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Robot Tank Character and Animation  (Read 3132 times)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Robot Tank Character and Animation

on: July 03, 2015, 08:50:44 am
Hey guys! So I'm working with some friends on a project and I'd like to get some feedback on this enemy character created. Except for that fist, I like him a lot overall. I'm currently working on an ideal animation and plan to have some parts of the robot bouncing up and down. Something similar to the bipedal robot on this page.

http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/

We're aiming for a 16 bit Mega Man X type look.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Robot Tank Character and Animation

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:23:11 am
Here's an idle animation. Next animation would be a gun blast then a punch.

edit: updated animation.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:51:47 am by heyguy »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:09:22 pm
Your linework is good, but you need to improve the shading to give it more depth.
You have some pretty sharp edges which means the shading should be sharp as well.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 02:03:26 am
Thanks Seiseki! I've added more contrast in the shading and changed some colors around. Got a more believable fist worked out now too, still working on it though. Also added a bit of a shadow from the arm on to the tanks "armor skirt". I can't seem to get that white hot specular reflection to work anywhere though.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:29:10 am
Just a test animation for the "Dash Punch". There's something about the end of the animation I can't seem to get looking "right". It need more slow down I think I like this overall though and it's got potential to be the final animation. I can start making polished line art for this now? What do you guys think? What does everyone think of the timing of the attack animation. And what about the timing of the idle animations? Attack animation is (right now, constantly updating)20 frames and idle animation is 6 frames.

I also tweaked the bright highlights and tweaked the original idle animation. Added a slight jitter to the arms and its moving up and down with the torso instead of the opposite way. Is this idle animation better than the other?

Right now I'm not satisfied with how the water tanking storing the brain is looking so I need to look at that right now. Any tips? It's a glass tank. I just had a thought of having an animated sprite type highlight glare that travels up the glass tank and fades in and out...maybe that could help sell the "look" and believability? The simple baby blue bothers of the water bother me too. Maybe bubbles traveling inside? Darker shades of watery blue?

One more question, since I'm aiming for an SNES look, I'd like to adhere to SNES color limitations and whatnot. So I'm limited to 15 colors per sprite correct? I think I'm a little above but it should be easy to dial it back.

Haha, quick update! I added that slowdown I was talking about! I think it looks better.

edit - added updated animation with slow down and asked a question about snes limitations.

edit 2 - uploaded an even more updated animation with more slow down, ease in and ease out, etc. What does everyone think of the animation. It's 20 frames.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:39:06 pm by heyguy »