AuthorTopic: [C&C][WIP] Ground Tiles  (Read 13037 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [C&C][WIP] Ground Tiles

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:07 am
That looks nasty imo plus it would interfere with sprite readability a bit.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 02:15:17 am
snip

I also don't think that is a good idea. The very idea of a background is that while it should be nicely detailled, it shouldn't fight for attention with the sprites.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 03:36:40 am
Sorry for the delay iv been abit busy with my life :P really sorry about that , here is my take on hopefully this would be the last edit or pre-last? :D so yeah tried 16x16 tiles as decroded suggested it works like a charm you were totally correct it was a scale issue, also I didn't draw the cobble stone outlines and make them all connected together instead i drew the cobblestone tiles them selves separate but included some mini stones for the spacings inbetween also used the color palette of the rock mountain, I do think it needs to be abit more brighter ,but whenever I try different colors it messes up Iam really glad you guys had the time to chip in with your knowledge and experience , greatly appreciated , still open up for any criticisms :)

Note the dark colors were used so that the cobblestone would fit along with the mountain it really didnt blend when I used a bright color :)

quick update:

Iv created a transition tile for grass over cobblestones (ps: quickly added the transition tiles on paint didnt create corners so i had to place them randomly Iv made them just to show how its supposed to tile together, not intended to tile that way :) )

(ps: still need to fix that grass tile thanks for pointing that out decorded :) )

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:19:29 am by BoodyA »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 03:29:20 am
hey that looks pretty good the darker colour seems to work well.
I'm only viewing on my phone so I can't see in detail but definitely looks better  :y:

good luck with the rest of the project do share if ur allowed to.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 01:59:37 pm
Rule number one of dirt/grass combo:

High detail grass <-> Low detail dirt
Low detail grass <-> High detail dirt

So yeah, that's why that latest iteration works best so far and why Blobber's edit seems to be a step in the wrong direction (I was going to suggest high contrast to match the rocks too, until I saw that destroy the noise ratio).

Your biggest problem seems to be that your style just doesn't match the original though. Few suggestions (most have already been mentioned):
1) No new colors. Use the existing palette and resist adding even one extra color. It's not working for you.
2) No dithering. The original has no dithering and combining flat shaded rocks with dithered rocks is the best way to create dissonance.
3) Big shapes. The rocks are very chunky, so no small detailed rocks (this ties in to my first comment about detail).
4) Scale has to fit, your rocks feel extremely zoomed in, compared to the original.
5) Perspective. All your tiles are top-down, while the original is not, of course that's not going to work. Note that decroded's edit is also in the wrong perspective.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 09:14:54 pm
Rule number one of dirt/grass combo:

High detail grass <-> Low detail dirt
Low detail grass <-> High detail dirt

I disagree
consistency and overall visual priority is more important.

while some textures might need to be a bit more grainy, both of these textures ultimatively serve the same functionality (walking over them) and therefore should have about the same amount of detail. If the gap of detail is to bg, the visual priority on a bigger scale (between elements with different functions) might get messed up.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:42 pm
Just so you know, I hadn't seen the latest version when I posted that. That latest version is definitely a step in the right direction. So yeah, certain comments, like perspective and scale look pretty good to me in that latest one.

Also note that you generally want 4 to 6 different tiles of every kind to allow for some randomization.

Here's some studies from years and years ago:

I disagree
consistency and overall visual priority is more important.

while some textures might need to be a bit more grainy, both of these textures ultimatively serve the same functionality (walking over them) and therefore should have about the same amount of detail. If the gap of detail is to bg, the visual priority on a bigger scale (between elements with different functions) might get messed up.
Fair comment, I get where you're going with that. I think striking that balance right is important.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 03:06:22 am
amazing replies thanks alot, by far one of the best topics iv started due to those tons of useful information from talented people like you :) I would just like to take the time and say you guys are my idols :) , back to the projects I do love the various tiles per texture ,but is that applicable to the cobblestone tiles? I was thinkg of making a pure solid color tile with corners of the cobble stole tiles as in cracked floor leading to a solid one also the opposite too a fully removed cobblestone with dirt instead any thoughts? (ps:Id love to keep showing what ever I make in this project as long as I keep recieving such amazing/helpful replies :) )

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 06:39:59 am
Heya guys, after decroded mentioned the grass tile issue I went ahead and tried fixing it which ended up having a weird pattern, so I decided I'll go with my own made grass tile judging from your opinions I'll decide whether I'll keep it , edit it or just fix the old one :) pleas tell me what you think guys :D

(ps: the tile on the most right was my first try in making a new tile , didnt match the cobblestones so I kept going till I got the one on the left I just thought I'd put it there since I thought it looked nice :P )
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:42:59 am by BoodyA »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 08:33:16 am
what software are u using?