AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Big Ben photo into pixels  (Read 3838 times)

Offline LisandraTD

• View Profile

[C+C] [WIP] Big Ben photo into pixels

on: July 16, 2015, 11:21:19 am
I am producing a pixel art using a Big Ben photo as reference (it's under spoiler so it won't use too much post space)

And this is how far I am

I am not so much focused on lights and shadows right now, because I feel it will lose a bit of the details. The small amount of shadows I used was for me to keep track on proportions with the photo.

Thanks in advance for any comments and enlightments!
----
Other post with similar stuff:
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=18504.0

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Big Ben photo into pixels

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:43:42 pm
  Wow this is phenomenal, you are an amazing technical artist.  Problem is now ive gotta get very nitpicky.  Big Ben is obviously very old so its quite saturated for its age, the colours should be faded a bit except where it is gold like around the clock and at the top of the tower before the point (the bars)  Also i find the extremely detailed look is lost on the part to the right of the tower, so the actual building doesnt look as crisp.  I thik that is because the shadows arent as strong when they easily can be.  Finally watch the perspective of the towers point.  In your drawing the czbin at the very point (not the part with the clock the part above it) follows the same perspective as the clock when because the viewer is so far below it, it should be more extreme a perspective than the clock cabin.  *note- remember the cactus pot, keep silhouettes crisp because its not an organic shape its a very structural engineered shape. :y: :crazy:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:38:03 pm by IrresponsibleFreelancer »
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline LisandraTD

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:25:49 pm
Thank you, I am happy  :lol:  When I finished the clock I couldnt stop staring at it thinking "omg, I did this?" and such xD
About the towers, I will see when I add the sky. Since they are so thin (the towers) I thought about making them fadding while blending with the sky.
But it will take a while for me to do the sky. The perpective on the right side is tricky and I have redone it a few times, always trying to move a pixel line/collumn in some direction.
Regarding the roof of the clock, the perspective was worse than now, at first... but seems like it's still not enough :c
I will keep working on it! I don't know when I wil update it tho, it's taking longer than I expected to finish
--
a bit of "progress"

Now I can clearly see the diference before and after I did my cactus art.
The right part I was focused on being more realistic and close to the photo.
The left part of the building is mor calculated, less vivid, more mechanic, straight edges with less care for the angles.. I will have to redo a few parts, but it looks worth it.
I dunno if I am overdoing the AA tho.
--

I covered the old parts so I wouldn't get influenced by proportions and the style.. I would have to remake it anyway :/
Any thoughts are appreciated /o/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:55:26 pm by LisandraTD »

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:22:21 am
When adding such huge progress points dont be afraid to post a new section in your topic to bump it you dont have to keep editing previous posts and adding it.  (just only bump it when there is reasonable progress and you'd like fresh eyes on it, dont bump on small changes) Also it looks super good keep 'er going.

Offline LisandraTD

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:59:19 am
Thank you!
And about the editing. It's just that I don't have who to share the progress with. So I guess I get anxious to post it here :(
Since I read the forum rules I thought I would just keep editing then. Dunno if I am being annoying on doing so.

I was kinda free at work today, so I made a bit more progress than usual.
I guess is almost 1/3 done now?
I thought the tree would be harder to make, but my problem wasn't the shape, but the colours...  :-\
The photo is resized now so you guys can compare with the current state of my work

Don't mind the clock, I left it there because I quite like it (even with the right side on the wrong perspective, I will remake it as I go drawing left)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:11:57 pm by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 12:38:53 am
Unless the right side will be further refined, it doesn't seem like pixel art. Not much pixel-level control.

It looks good and similar to the photo, though. This is a good topic to read through if you haven't already: http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=8110.0

Offline LisandraTD

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 11:16:41 am
I just wanted to practice realism, shapes and angles. Did I do it the wrong way by choosing to replicate a photo? ???
But thanks for the link I will read further in to it and see what I can improve!

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 06:12:25 pm
No practicing by copying from reference or still life is a great way to work on your realism pixelling.  One thing to be careful of like i said before though is that once again just in general the colours could use a little bit of desaturation on the walls (the yellow isnt faded enough)  Also i just wanted to point out something in the perspective again is that the short tower on the building closest to us on the right (the one blocking part of the roof) is above the horizon therefore we are looking up at it, in your rendering the tower is level with us.  The clock tower should also be shorter but thats easy to accomplish by just lowering the part you already have rendered of the clock.  Finally as you can see the tree seems to be to sharp and fat(ish) whereas in the ref its kinda thin looking and blurry almost, so just a thought but it may not work cuz im no exoert but try maybe dithering behind the tree a very tiny bit to make it look thin and living (i really have no idea if that will work but just try it for fun)  Other than those one or two details it looks amazing, every time i reload this topic i am newly impressed exponentially by how good it looks. :crazy:

* Also i said last time something about bumping the topic but i was wrong and pixel piledriver was kind enoughh to point that out to me so please ignore what i said *