AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Trees  (Read 2640 times)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Trees

on: May 22, 2015, 05:43:23 pm
Hello all. I'm making some trees for a tileset I'm working on and I'd love some critiques. It's an overhead RPG tileset I'm working on and it can be found here.

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=17387.0

Anyway, here are the trees. So I'm making one tree trunk and then leaves to place over it. So I can have two tree types to easily place around the scene. I also saw some tilesets that have a small separate piece of the trunk with moss and grass that can be overlayed on the original tree trunk. So I'll probably make another piece of withered tree trunk so I can have 4 different trees that are modular, if you will.

I'm thinking I need more colors in the tree trunk. It's too brown right now I think.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Trees

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 07:24:00 pm
You have four colors in the trunk, which seems like enough to me.  Your foliage only has two (well there is that third, but you only use it in once little place).  I would add another color or two to the foliage before you add more to the trunk.

More important than the number of colors is how you use them.  I see a lot more detail in the trunk than in the foliage.  The foliage needs to catch up a bit.  Get some more detail in there.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:03:25 am
Thanks for the comments Glak.  What I meant about more colors was changing some colors around. It was too monochromatic brown. I gave the shadows on the tree trunk a green tint. Anyway, here are some updates.

It's suppose to be a willow tree. It's still a work in progress and I have to admit it's hard pixeling a willow tree!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:06:30 am by heyguy »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:57:24 am
I think it looks really interesting though keep it up.
the clumps r pretty good and the lighting is off to a great start.
That trunk needs some immediate work though imo the middle root facing camera should extend down a bit and play with the shading more because it just looks like gradient fill atm.
also consider not that much light would hit the trunk so keep it a bit darker.