AuthorTopic: [Tutorial thingy] How to easily (I am lying) animate a running/walking cycle  (Read 2878 times)

Offline mzn528

• View Profile
Haro.

I've struggled with this (still am) when I first started doing pixel art so I think it will be helpful to share what I learned so far in pixel art.

First, an image of reference, THIS IS THE MOST HELPFUL IMAGE YOU WILL SEE IN THIS POST, all TL; DR can stop right here and download this image.

The style is a bit cartoonish in this pic but the motion is on point, for example, if you follow this, your final product will look something like this:

(credit to redditer Larlock1, I am too lazy to make one...)

So I loosely followed this (yeah...), and below are some examples for fast runs:

This is one of my oldest animations (did it when I first start), but you can see the same motion (it's bad I know hur):

The above are 10 frame animations, they are for faster runs. For a more relaxed run, you want to slow it down a bit by using more frames to make it smoother, example:

This is a bad example, I am trying to animate a slow, heavier run but used only 8 frames:

Mr. Ogre here, is doing a slightly better job on that, notice he's limping a little bit, as the leg on the left never crossed the middle position, if you want to do a normal one you should make his body turn and make the leg go forward a bit more:

For me, I am not really that kind of guy who focus on the accurate locations of the body parts (like the highest point of leg motion much be at this point on canvas) but rather a general feeling (Yeah it's bad don't learn from me), so... I am out of things to say.

Here's a nice picture:

Let me know if this is helpful or if you guys want to see a tutorial on attack animations or something.

Peace and love you all!
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline Probo

• View Profile

The style is a bit cartoonish in this pic but the motion is on point, for example, if you follow this, your final product will look something like this:

you should maybe add a reminder under this gif that its not a full walk cycle