AuthorTopic: [CC][WIP] First Pixel Art Character  (Read 3221 times)

Offline mheyman

• View Profile

[CC][WIP] First Pixel Art Character

on: May 17, 2015, 03:31:42 am
Hey I just recently got into pixel art and was looking for some critique. I am still trying figure out a good palette for the character.

The character is based off of a sketch a friend did:
http://christermime.tumblr.com/post/107445156501/some-fearsome-monsters-ive-been-posting

Here's what I got so far, I've gone through several different iterations so far and thought I'd just post them all.

Any thoughts or suggestions, reworks etc are appreciated. My goal is to do a simple character each day and up the complexity each time. So I wanted to start pretty simple.

Offline SteamCaptain

• View Profile

Re: [CC][WIP] First Pixel Art Character

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:55:57 am
I really like your iterations, you can see you have an eye for details.
Here are my thoughts!

This is my favorite and here are my edits.
  • I think your biggest gain would be from not wanting to outline everything. It's been said mostly for smaller sprites, but it also applies here.
    You only have a few pixels to use, don't spend to much on outlining every detail.
  • Tried to fix some of the shading. The highlight implies the light is coming from the right, the shadows implies it's coming from above.
  • Removing the highlight in the bottom blue part of the dress makes it feel more like a whole.
  • I also replaced the near black outline with actual black and remove some unnecessary colors.

Looking forward to your next character!

Offline mheyman

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:34:40 am
Hey, thanks for the feedback! I completely agree with all of your observations. I tend to forget that a lot of small micro detail gets lost at this scale and it really helps when everything isn't separated by outlines. I'll definitely keep this feedback in mind during my next character.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 04:20:36 am
welcome and nice character  :y:
That iteration is good I cant crit properly right now but I'll point out ur version also suffers from "staircase banding" in several areas.
in terms of design I like the staff but the colours seem a bit boring compared to the outfit.

I think the shading could be further improved but I cant edit atm.

I hope u make some more cool sprites and items  ;D

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:34:24 pm
I was prepared to mildly scold you for uploading a jpeg, but that's a png. Did you bounce a jpeg bounced to a png or something?

Offline mheyman

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:28:32 pm
Hmm, nope, it's just a regular PNG.