AuthorTopic: [C+C] Many Gifs (many) for my ARPG (soul inspired combat with unique mechanics)  (Read 3556 times)

Offline mzn528

• View Profile
Heyo, it's been a while since I post here... Been busy improving my pixeling skillz  ;D

Long story short, I am in the process of creating my dream game
Dream game = soul inspired combat + distinctive play styles + anime (not the shitty ones) inspired characters + unique story telling mechanics

This place is purely about pixel arts so I will shut up about the game... Anyways, here are some gifs!!

Three starting combat vocations:

Main character:
Idle

Walking

Transform for combat

Combat - Knight(Straight sword)

Combat - Mercenary(Ultra greatsword)

Combat - Vagabond(Katana)  WIP

Please, ANY feedback is greatly appreciated!! Also feel free to let me know if you are curious/have suggestions for the game. If you are interested, here's the link to the dev log I am keeping, it has the introduction and all explanations on mechanics:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47896.msg1137788#msg1137788

Thank you very much!
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline Rosier

• View Profile
So the main character changes classes in order to fight?  I actually had a similar idea.

The idle animations:
--The Knight's cape is all over the place while his sword and shield stay parallel.  It's impossible for them not to waver in the slightest.  The shoulder pads also move very statically, when the should probably be a bit more freeform.
--The Mercenary should probably has some movement on his actual body.   The scarf kind of flickers and the tunic shimmers far too much.
--The highlights on the Samurai should line up a bit more, and the hat should have at least one more frame of change, otherwise it just jitters rather than billows.
--The cape on the Normal MC shouldn't have half of it be in a wind tunnel while the other half is barely moving. 

Motion animations:
--Run looks more like a jog.  May need to be sped up a bit.  Otherwise the cape is a bit jittery.
--Having the transform animation be him turning into a rough, naked blue figure and literally growing into the new body before growing the new clothes looks pretty weird IMO.  I would suggest maybe summoning the clothes directly on in a flash of light or something?
--Attack animations are a bit rough.  I like them, but they don't flow like an actual human moving.  The Merc's are definitely better than the Knight's.

Offline mzn528

• View Profile
So the main character changes classes in order to fight?  I actually had a similar idea.

The idle animations:
--The Knight's cape is all over the place while his sword and shield stay parallel.  It's impossible for them not to waver in the slightest.  The shoulder pads also move very statically, when the should probably be a bit more freeform.
--The Mercenary should probably has some movement on his actual body.   The scarf kind of flickers and the tunic shimmers far too much.
--The highlights on the Samurai should line up a bit more, and the hat should have at least one more frame of change, otherwise it just jitters rather than billows.
--The cape on the Normal MC shouldn't have half of it be in a wind tunnel while the other half is barely moving. 

Motion animations:
--Run looks more like a jog.  May need to be sped up a bit.  Otherwise the cape is a bit jittery.
--Having the transform animation be him turning into a rough, naked blue figure and literally growing into the new body before growing the new clothes looks pretty weird IMO.  I would suggest maybe summoning the clothes directly on in a flash of light or something?
--Attack animations are a bit rough.  I like them, but they don't flow like an actual human moving.  The Merc's are definitely better than the Knight's.

Thanks for the replly Rosier!!

Yep the idea is you can transform to different vocations when you run into a combat area. In normal situations you simply interact and run as the main character.

Thanks to your tips I've now noticed them, it was pretty hard for me since I stared at them for so long haha.

For the main character, I purposefully gave him a 16 frame slow joggging animation because he shows up in non-combat area and can usually take his time and all. The other combat character has much faster run. Noted on the cape

Yeah I had a pretty rough time thinking about the transformation (surprisingly difficult), since this is a darker themed game I do not want to make it a sailor moon style transform... Can you elaborate it a bit on the flash of light? DId you mean there should be a flash and after the flash the character will just become the knight?

I am assuming you are pointing to the knight? hmmm ok I will make it more fluid!

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

A quick example of what I'm thinking of.  Ignoring the inconsistencies between the armor sizes, it's what I mean.

Moreover just the main character strikes a pose to summon the weapons and clothes, then goes into the new idle.  The main difference between my idea and yours is that he summons the full set of armor/clothes rather than grows them.  Any weird size changes could be covered with that spiral effect you have going on, in case the new Vocation is a slightly larger size.

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

A quick example of what I'm thinking of.  Ignoring the inconsistencies between the armor sizes, it's what I mean.

Moreover just the main character strikes a pose to summon the weapons and clothes, then goes into the new idle.  The main difference between my idea and yours is that he summons the full set of armor/clothes rather than grows them.  Any weird size changes could be covered with that spiral effect you have going on, in case the new Vocation is a slightly larger size.

I see, thanks a lot Rosier, I will try to do something like this to make it more natural!

DevLog here