AuthorTopic: c64 junk  (Read 3001 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

c64 junk

on: August 26, 2006, 04:16:55 am
well, with the original image, it turns out I was using a faulty pallete

This is with a correct [or at least, more accurate] c64 pallete.

nothing really breathtaking, but it was my first time experimenting with c64 art. I probably would've made a few adjustments [or even a totally different image] if I was using the correct pallete to begin with. yes the lava sucks.

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Re: c64 junk

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:01:46 am
It's nice, but overall I think there's just too much black. I can't really understand whats going on in the picture, but considering I don't really know that much about C64 stuff, it may be just me. It's good though, and for a first try, I like it.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 04:41:59 pm
there's really not much going on, it's just some wizard standing around holding some electric orb, temple behind him, volcano behind the temple lava flowing to infront of the wizard. As for all the black, that was my choice, it was probably a bad choice, as well, but I wanted dark, alot of C64 images are quite bright.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 04:01:11 am
Small question, when you pixeled this, did you use a 2x1 brush or were you working with a 1x1 brush and doubled the width afterwards? The face makes me think you were working with a 1x1 canvas, perhaps thinking in 2x1 towards the end with the moon.

Maybe you can try looking at some of ptoing's C64 stuff. There's a bunch here you can learn about AAing, dithering and creating curves.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/5776.htm

Ptoing's also put together a page showing off some palettes and the one he uses here. It's also a good resource on pixelling for the c64
http://ptoing.net/html/c64info.htm

This is quite good for your first c64 piece and well worth continuing to expreriment with 2x1 pixels. I don't have the link to it but Ptoing recently posted a c64 colour chart here that you should track down(check his profile and click the link that displays all his posts). The colour chart will show you how to use the c64 greys to buffer between shades. I think these could really help you create more layered works and help you define better focal points. The way you have things now, everything is jumping at your eye and a little neutral grey in places would quiet things down, I imagine. The greys really give it something special, too.

Keep it up, Setz.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:16:48 pm
when i started I was not exactly sure how to go about it; I did 160x200 and would stretch x2 periodically to see how it was coming out. As you can see I was using quite the incorrect pallete, and I was quite nub about it. I did try Timanthes; but I couldn't get it to run, since then I've downloaded WDStudio, which works fine, simple and easy.