AuthorTopic: New Avatar!  (Read 3369 times)

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

New Avatar!

on: September 20, 2006, 08:52:28 pm
I made myself an avatar which I think is very well done (by my standards, at least).
Here it is, I might make more in this style, so CC & Comments are appreciated :P

Btw!!!
Congratz pixelopolis on the cool new smilies!!!

Off-topic: also, did some digital painting with my brand new wacom tablet!!!
Check it out here: http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/seedwhakk/excalibur.gif

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: New Avatar!

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:05:18 pm
I think your avatar would be much better if you ditched the dithering, the only place I would even consider using it would be on the darkest blue background shades. I don't like the black outlines. I think the small metal bit under the orb should curve with the shape of the staff, it just ends in a straight line right now. I'd also advise using your darker blues to AA the swirlies on the border and floating around.

As for Excalibur, use a larger brush to start, lots of little small strokes makes the basic forms very hard to pick out.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:36:53 am
Alright, I made a little sig just to practice my dithering and aa (did not know how to aa when I made the avvy :P)

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:37:39 am
Egh, it still looks kinda choppy in areas... is there something wrong with my way of doing it?

PS: will edit the avatar later today :-) It's kinda 7:40 AM here... gotta rush.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:38:50 am
your AA colors generally do not seem to contrast enough, is the problem. If you see any jaggies (jagged lines, AA is there to smooth it) you need to either lighten the AA colors, darken the AA colors, or generally find a way to even it out so it doesn't poke out so much to the viewer. it's also a good idea to keep a 1x view thumbnail displayed at all times so you can refer to it.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 12:52:19 pm
Don't try to search a method, AA is best done by heart. The preview window is your friend indeed. Place it pixel per pixel and keep watching the preview to see what's happening to the pic.