AuthorTopic: [CC][WIP] Shrek is it you?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

[CC][WIP] Shrek is it you?

on: April 09, 2015, 04:54:11 am
A "grunt" enemy for my game. Any tips on color/shading/outline/everything will be appreciated!

Thank you so much guys!
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Re: [CC][WIP] Shrek is it you?

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:15:31 am
Contrast! you have 4 shades of green (if I counted right) and they ALL are very close. Give way more contrast to your palette. And don't hesitate to shift the colour hue across the palette. For example, go for a more "blue" green for dark places, and a yellowish one for light. As for the outlining, I don't use it myself so I'm not the best to give advices.
Last step of the animation (stepping forward, left foot) is a bit hard. An additional frame would be nice.

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 02:19:30 am
Contrast! you have 4 shades of green (if I counted right) and they ALL are very close. Give way more contrast to your palette. And don't hesitate to shift the colour hue across the palette. For example, go for a more "blue" green for dark places, and a yellowish one for light. As for the outlining, I don't use it myself so I'm not the best to give advices.
Last step of the animation (stepping forward, left foot) is a bit hard. An additional frame would be nice.

Hello Skaz!! Thank you much for the reply, good catch on the color! I am pretty bad with color so this is a real struggle, I am thinking maybe give him a elephant color... any suggestions lol?
As for outline, I am trying to really get rid of it since none of the other characters in my game has outline. But one issue for me is, I could not show the muscle definition without the outline. Is there a natural way of doing that without using outlines?
Will do! Nice catch haha!

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:50:15 am
You're welcome ;)

If you want to keep consistency, then yes, don't use outlines. Good choice.
Just made a quick edit to show you how contrast can make things stand out. don't take it as a pre build palette, it's really just to encourage you pushing contrast.

I also pushed the hue variation a bit from a blueish dark green to a yellowish light green. And reduced the lighter area a bit. Keep up !

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 06:52:02 pm
You're welcome ;)

If you want to keep consistency, then yes, don't use outlines. Good choice.
Just made a quick edit to show you how contrast can make things stand out. don't take it as a pre build palette, it's really just to encourage you pushing contrast.

I also pushed the hue variation a bit from a blueish dark green to a yellowish light green. And reduced the lighter area a bit. Keep up !

Got it, thank you so much for the tip!! Editing it now..

DevLog here