AuthorTopic: Breakout Bubble, contract work  (Read 2698 times)

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Breakout Bubble, contract work

on: August 20, 2006, 09:18:45 am
Hey, long time no post.

I was recently contracted to do a small cellphone gig, and the person in question (www.poklee.com) was nice enough to let me retain copyright of the graphics! This means that I can for once post my contract work on a forum. Itīs really nice not to be strangled by an NDA :)

Anyway, specs are a little different than usual. I was allowed to use alpha-maps, so I pixeled those first, and then went ahead and made a color version. The plash screen is obviously not pixeled, this was done to save time when making all the different versions (render + cleanup).

Credit goes to Helm for the base spheres, and ptoing for animation help along with one background extension. I appreciate it fellas!

I havenīt compiled any more mockups. I might do some more at 240x320 when I get back from Cyprus.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: Breakout Bubble, contract work

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 01:23:29 pm
So its like a radial breakout?  I made one of these games once, they're pretty fun.  It looks pretty nice so far.

yosh64

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 03:42:52 pm
hey

Nice work :). I was interested to learn more about the making of your rendered title screen :). Hmm, did you just do a basic render as a basis for painting? or did you properly texture the rocks (or one instance of it anyhows)? Hmm, looks like the rocks have the same texture as the surface of the battle area. Did you contruct a basic sketch or anything before making in 3d? or just an idea in your head? Did you paint those bubbles? they look really cool :). BTW,  I really like the text also :).

Hmm, to answer my own question... I think it would be mostly rendered... just looking at the pink reflections in the bubbles, and at all the consistant AA :). The only thing I think may not be is the motion effect on the little ball.

BTW, sorry to take focus off the pixels :-\.

cyas
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 03:49:04 pm by yosh64 »

Offline sevenfingers

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 05:17:29 pm
Thanks.

No prob to take the focus off the pixels.. not that many to crit or so.
I did a basic render with shaders applied, but no textures.
he caustics are painted, and he bubbles are 3d.

The motion effect is several frames of the ball rendered, but not enough to make a smooth motion, overlaid with screen-mode and a fall-off in the opacity. I was trying to mimic the arkanoid title-screen effect...