AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Floating Island Tree  (Read 4397 times)

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Floating Island Tree

on: March 22, 2015, 09:54:22 pm

Currently working on this. Would love any pointers regarding color, technique and composition. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:58:32 pm by JoeCreates »

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Floating Island Tree

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 10:08:19 pm
Absolutely stunning. This is way above my skill level, but two things did occur to me.

1) I hope you're adding more empty space around the island, so it doesn't feel so cramped.

2) Even though the lantern isn't supposed to have straight lines, it still doesn't look like it's in perspective to me. We're seeing the island from above, yet it looks like we're seeing the lantern from the side.

And due to the huge leaves and the smoothness of the branches and tree trunks, it reads more like a bush than a tree, but that's not a big issue, I guess.

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 11:20:02 pm
Absolutely stunning. This is way above my skill level, but two things did occur to me.

Thanks, cels! I plan to add a little more space around the border and a simple background of some kind. Good spot with the lantern; I'll fix it in the next edit. :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:12:32 am
this is really great Joe I love the atmosphere.
inspiring  :y:

a take-it-or-leave it edit...

step 1)
i thought the crow was a bit lost against background so i gave him stronger highlights using existing colours.
i thought back branch didn't deserve highlights from the front, the only light it is getting is ambient and that blue backlight.

step 2)
adjusted levels in photoshop.
u may not want this much intensity but i cranked it up a fair bit just to show u how easily u can get more vibrancy.

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:51:49 am
a take-it-or-leave it edit...

The crow definitely needed some attention and you got it spot on in your edit. I will possibly up the vibrancy just a tad when it's almost done. I've plenty to think about for the next update, now. Thanks! :D