AuthorTopic: Help with these chess pieces for an online game please.  (Read 6005 times)

Offline Ari

• View Profile
Ive been playing Tibia for many years now. It's a 2d mmorpg. Anyways~ Some friends and and me were rather sick of some of the current default graphic sin the game, for instance, the chess pieces (which are life size ones you move around on a giant chess bord on the ground)

Rather then looking like real pieces they were checord pieces with pictures of queen, and knight, etc. on them. I found a way to extract the file "tibia.spr" so I could edit the in game graphics to my liking. Anyways, the problem was that I needed a new set of chess pieces. So a friend of mine put these together for me:

(the game itself is on a ratehr weird angle.

Anyhow, I wanted to make them a bit glossier you know? But my friend doesn't want to do any more work on them. I personally am not experianced enough as a pixel artist to get what I want out of them, so I thought I would ask if any of you were up for the challange of making colors more glossy etc. And if you are REALLY up for it, you could try fixing up those ones circled in red which he wasnt very atisfied with.

If you are curious about the angle and etc looks like in game~ look here:
http://tibia.gamigo.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=136058

If you have any way of making them ebtter do your best. Also, as you will see in that first picture there is not a white version of the horse piece, but that can be fixed easy with a recolor.

Also, incase you need to know, the size limit for sprites is 32x32

Thanks for any help!
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Re: Help with these chess pieces for an online game please.

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:10:14 am
Heh, I know the lead graphics artist of Tibia personally since their company is right here in my town, maybe I should talk to him to improve those graphics ;D
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:31:50 am
I've been playin tibia for a year i think in 2003 or something, however my account was deleted because i havent played for more the 1 year :O
The angle of the game is the same as ultama series.
the chess pieces are fine with the shading but defining the pieces more would be good for the viewer!
good luck!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 02:54:46 am
I dont have anything really relevant to say..

just, Ive been trying to remember the term for this perspective and its really been bugging me.... 'xenometric' keeps jumping into my head, although Im almost certain thats not a real word  :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

yosh64

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 05:23:12 am
hey

The first thing that points out to me is the lack of proper depth perception. I think you need to take the highlight of the bottom of the peices down a shade. Another thing I think the edge surfaces lack definition, well I think they should look more flat.

Looking at them, I can hardly beleive they have been properly pixeled or something? as I think I see a lot of ugly computed AA. I think they need alot of cleaning up, and I can't even perceive how many colors are used, but I think a fair few can be removed.
---

Ahh I just come to realise the reason for this thread, and that it was your friend who made these.

I was going to say...
I will think about doing an edit for you. But I am not too keen, as I think you aren't so much interested in the art of pixeling, but rather just want to get these things done :P. But who am I to make such a judgement.

But yea, nevermind that so much now. Hmm, so maybe I will go over them or something :-\.

cyas

yosh64

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 10:39:23 am
hey

Well I just finished making these, redone the lot... ended up being quite fun :). Hopefully they are okay, and ya like???. Your current set were actually quite handy for a starting basis, and for keeping to the perspective. Finally, I hope something can be learnt by looking at these :).

hah, AND even another edit... (just replaced last image)

Just done some tweaking/fixing of things :). I think I might finally be done with these now :).

Enjoy! :D

cyas
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:27:24 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 07:27:56 pm
Thanks man! Those are exactly what I was looking for!

I really appreciate you taking the time to do that, I was starting to think nobody was willing to help :P And yes, the first ones were done in photoshop I think, and not pixeled like people do here (which is the reason I came here for help :P) I used to be really into pixeling myself, and a friend of mine was teaching me all sorts of stuff, but eventually with school and so forth, I kind of dropped it. I still come around here lots and look at other peoples work and almost always get inspired to start working on pixel art again, but it always seems so overwellming, because the artists here are far more advanced then I was when I was "in my prime"

I am actually very interested in pixeling and how its all done, and I always like to zoom in and study how people use their colors and techniques, I just never know what to start with on my own. Once I get my computer built and I have more time to waste on it I will probably get back into things... I think I have potential to be good, Ive taken art courses for years, and I have the stuff in my head, I just need to learn to get it out through my hands better :P

Anyways, those are going to look perfect in the game. Many people will appreciate you doing it, because I will probably make the graphics file available for public download, and your name will be on the credit list for chess pieces.
I will take a screenshot of them during a game of chess once I get them in it.

Again, I really appreciate you spending time on these :)
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 09:05:43 pm
Hey, havent read all of the posts, but on the most recent image i'd like to say that the black looks quite washed out with the white, so i'd highten the contrast on the black, and make the highlights brighter.

yosh64

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:23:12 am
hey

edit (replaced last image)

Well I just slightly changed the colors of the black peices, as to make them look less washed out. I also just realised I had the 2nd last darkest black shade in my palette display wrong, was actually the color of the 2nd last darkest white shade :).

BTW, I look forward to the screenshot :).

cyas
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:52:41 am by yosh64 »

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 04:36:50 am
I havent added the latest version to my spr file yet. But here is the one before that in screen (poor quality sorry)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/Vann_tibia/chesspicture3.jpg
I will get a much better screen when the new chess arena is built and ive updated my spr with altest chess pieces, (much better quality also)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 04:38:21 am by Ari »
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog