AuthorTopic: Dirty indexed sub-pixeling animation in Photoshop and more.  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Nirel

• View Profile
Hi,
So I just came across this amazing thing today
and found out you can almost as easily set up pretty accurate multicolor ramps, I made this quickly from 2 frames without any cleaning to show how it works

It also has other implications like having all of Photoshop's tools at your disposal when pixeling, quickly changing palettes in Photoshop and so on.
The main weakness is that I may be able to use colors that look the same, but I don't know how to control the exact values, so you may want to make sure there are no colors overlapping or force it to the specific palette when saving.

Needles to say you still need a different layer for each color ramp though you can still reuse colors(sort of). You can transform different layers together, which means you could AA rotate or resize entire sprites( It obviously won't be perfect but could save a lot of time).

I figured most people who use this technique would also know how the make the ramps multicolored but I thought a lot of people didn't know about this and would find it useful. I also wondered if we could start a discussion about this technique, and maybe someone has an idea of how to make the process more efficient or assigning the palettes exact values. 
I forgot to write how I did this lol, I think it's pretty easy to understand if you did Dan Fessler's set up, if anyone wants to know exactly how I did something leave a comment.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:30:19 pm by Nirel »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Dirty indexed sub-pixeling animation in Photoshop and more.

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:21:29 pm
Dan Fessler is actually our very own Indigo. You can see the thread with more discussion on the technique here:

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16531.0

It's certainly awesome stuff for specific tasks. Cool to see it being applied to animation too ( no matter how dirty it may feel)

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Re: Dirty indexed sub-pixeling animation in Photoshop and more.

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:32:35 pm
Dan Fessler is actually our very own Indigo. You can see the thread with more discussion on the technique here:

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16531.0

It's certainly awesome stuff for specific tasks. Cool to see it being applied to animation too ( no matter how dirty it may feel)
Oh wow cool I didn't know that! so I guess I can move the discussion over there, maybe an admin can close this thread than.