AuthorTopic: Lets talk about the dress  (Read 15355 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Lets talk about the dress

Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:51 pm
monitor tilt and calibration explains a lot here. Especially considering smartphones.
second thing which plays in is the strong yellowish light - most probably caused by the crappy camera lense - which changes all colors on the image.
Third thing which might play in is a persons observational knowledge how colors look under certain light scenarios - means if a person tells what they are seeing on the image or if they are telling you what color they see based on what they know of reality - just by calculating the lights back to the color they think it has.

There are 3 different instances which can throw one of which colors there might actually be.
Like ptoing said, if you measure it it's blue and light brown.
Yaomons exampole there with yellow light and blue shadow explains a lot.

A great artist once said that a color on it's own can be measured. But once there is a second color both colors are differently percepted by the eye.
Means we get a different impression on different color combos while a color on it's own is very clear.
The reason for that is also simple to expain - the biological limitations of the anatomy of the eye.
(and also to consider... lots of eyes don't work they way they should. Look at all the color blindness and ametropic diseases (?))

If there are many colors the eye doesn't perceive all of them at once - there are many more optical illusions which use exactly the contrast/color effects.
Lots of optical illusions can be easily seen through.
This is not different from any other optical illusion playing with contrasts and lights.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 09:58:19 pm
I'm partially red green colorblind and when I first saw this image, it was definitively white/ gold for me. Then after researching a couple websites I saw the comparisons and such, and was able to see how it could be perceived as blue/ black. NOW whenever I look at it, I can ONLY really see blue/ black ( I wonder if this is because I have now seen the picture confirming it's blue/ black nature?). I also wonder if through compression from reposting etc if the rgb values may have been changed ( or people have tampered to prove their side).

Quite a weird conundrum on color and perception to say the least.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:20 pm
I saw black and blue first and did everytime except for one time which for a single second I saw it as gold and white, which was frreaky but its back to good old blue and black.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 10:01:50 pm
I am the same as ptoing on this. I thought the argument was kinda stupid at first for the same reason. In my mind I just think, well it's an IMAGE of a light blue dress with browny-goldish stripes. If you're asking what colour I think the dress is in reality I would say light blue and black. I cannot perceive it as either the colours the dress is in reality or as white and gold. I think it was clear to me that the stripes were black after I ignored the right half of the image where it gets particularly gold and I was like "oh yes I have seen black materials reflect colour that way." I think this is more akin to an optical illusion than something that is going to be necessary to be aware of as an artist.

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 10:04:01 pm
Note that the clothes in the background are black (darker RGB than the dress) and in apparantly more light than the dress. The soft shadows on dress indicates it is not lit by any strong light (but maybe very yellow). Anyways, the picture (RGB-values) shows a goldish-brown and whitish-blue dress regardless of what produced the result. And there doesn't seem to be anything substantial in the image to offset that color-perception.
But yeah, I would like to know how anyone can perceive this as black & blue.  Maybe it has something to do with monitor brightness/contrast? Viewed a bit darker or with higher contrast it may appear more blue/black. And then you have a potential problem with common people playing quick and loose with color-terminology. Let's find a few blue-blackers and test them! :D

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 10:06:59 pm
maybe the brain is also taking cues from other elements in the picture? the dress looks like it is hidden away from the bright yellow lightsource in the background, like its in a darker area of the shop. my brain assumes the lighting conditions, so assumes the colour?

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:07:25 pm
Not sure whats going on here.
All I see is a white and gold dress. No other sites, monitors or devices show me otherwise.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 10:14:43 pm
Also, please do not always just assume that I am being contrarian for the sake of it just because I might not happen to agree with you. It is really intellectually lazy.

Fair enough, probably wasn't fair of me to throw out so fast.  It was the phrase "And I don't know if I care" that is truly intellectually lazy and caused me to assume you were being contrarian.  For an artist to claim they don't care how color identity is perceived and why, was absolutely silly to me.  I couldn't see how you can hold that view without being intentionally contrarian/literal.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 10:20:36 pm
I can see that. And of course I care about stuff like relative colour perception. But this discussion was happening on twitter and other places and it was just getting very silly very fast. It is a photo taken with a super shitty camera.

And yeah, I am fairly sure that it is mostly about assumptions we make about the blue and such, as stated in the wired article, which is quite interesting.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:41 pm
It is a photo taken with a super shitty camera.

It seems the illusion goes well beyond context of a shitty camera.  I created this image and showed it to some people who saw the dress and blue and black, and they still saw the colors as blue and black even though all context was removed and there is no longer anything to suggest a color identity besides the literal colors on the screen (which are definitely not blue and black).  Even when showing the inversed colors, they still cannot see anything but the black and blue stripes - probably partly because they had already made the decision in their mind when they saw the original dress.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:30:18 pm by Indigo »