AuthorTopic: Dark Souls GBC Demake  (Read 118444 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Dark Souls GBC Demake

Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 04:08:09 am
Been meaning to do something for myself lately, and given my love of Dark Souls and GBC limitations, the subject was obvious.

I'd like to fully make the undead asylum, but I've developed the palettes with the idea in mind that they could cover all of the different areas ( that's how it works right? OR is it only 8 tile palettes on screen at once? If it's the latter, then I feel a bit silly)

I've been wondering on the perspective of the boss room. Back in the day I would have scoffed at all the mixed perspective stuff, but now I think it has a lot of charm ( and more importantly, doesn't use a lot of tiles) but I would love to see any alternative ideas/ examples of other pieces tackling the problem.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Dark Souls GBC Demake

Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:54 am
This clearly had to be done and I'm glad its u doing this  :hehe:
my ocd has a meltdown with this perspective so due to that id prefer to see it in standard 3/4 view but I dunno what to suggest with that portcullis on the left.
from memory those wooden doors should be larger than the other doorways.
not much else to offer at this point since im just viewing on my phone.
I'm not aware of gba restrictions but cant u squeeze in some more colour per tile and such to enrich it a bit (while keeping an overall dull vibe).

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 08:53:19 am
I'm not aware of gba restrictions but cant u squeeze in some more colour per tile and such to enrich it a bit (while keeping an overall dull vibe).

GBA != GBC. GBC gets 4 colors per tile and 8 possible tile palettes, so squeezing more colors in is possible but rather nontrivial -- you'd have to get pretty clever with how you setup palettes and the designs you use for tiles. Taking some cues from DB32 palette, DB16 palette or Arne's 16color palette might be helpful.

(whereas GBA can support tiles of 16 or even 256 colors. Quite a different proposition.)

http://gameboy.mongenel.com/dmg/gbc_art.txt shows a lot of useful info. In response to your question Ryumaru, it seems to indicate that you get 8 palettes to display your tiles, but you can swap those out whenever you need to, most likely between levels/screens.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:21 am
oops mah bad :blind: