AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015  (Read 92302 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015

Reply #240 on: October 06, 2015, 07:09:07 am
As far as I know, mouse input isn't customizable in Graphics Gale. :(
I put Swap Colors on the 'Z' key.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #241 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:25 am
I also just use a swap colours key but if you really want it and you've got a little time to tinker I've managed to insert a lot of functionality into graphicsgale using AutoHotkey.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #242 on: October 06, 2015, 04:08:27 pm
I've got swap hotkeyed too, thankfully there's that.

32, I'd love to know what kind of tricks you've implemented.

Also is it just me or are spambots getting smarter? I saw a post the other day that scraped content from the first page, and at a glance the sentence actually had context. The only giveaway was the same 1 post, no av, website link to something completely unrelated. If we're at the point where a human has to make a judgement call, spam's getting pretty good. And maybe I've only just started to pay attention, but we get spam pretty regularly here apparently.

I don't know SMF's features and I'm not familiar with its panel; I use IPB. But I think two very simple measures can be taken to make things easier/cleaner in the future. One, only allow members to post a backlink after ~25 posts. This is the simplest deterrent as it removes all incentive. (Again, don't know if SMF has this ability but it's almost certainly doable with all the forum scripts). Two, replace the current registration hoops with reCaptcha. The problem with multiple forms is they're annoying for people but easily defeatable by spammers. The questions are the same every time. Unfortunately the answers to the forms can be solved and shared across spam networks. They're fine for outdated scripts, but we can see smarter bots slipping in through the cracks now.

Simple fix. Peace of mind. I would do it myself if I could.

What I love Google for is how they've destroyed any credibility coming from non-relevant backlinks. As the other engines follow suite it removes all incentive entirely... it's a beautiful thing. And I wonder what the next counter-tactic will be. But for maybe the next 5 years this will still be a thing, as people with outdated knowledge target outdated search algorithms.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #243 on: October 07, 2015, 12:47:42 am
Mostly I just wanted to get it to control a little more like photoshop. So pan with space, and setting up hotkeys to change brushes were the main ones. I set up my custom brushes to go from small to big so it just lets you +/- the size of the brush quickly when you're painting. I also set up some keys that temporarily switch to the colour swapper or pen tool while they're held and then flip back to the other on release. Nothing super special but that's because graphicsgale has most of the stuff hidden away in some nook or cranny. There's a thread over here where I posted the script for the brush changer, and a bunch of other graphicsgale nonsense :)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #244 on: October 18, 2015, 07:29:48 pm
Another question for you Pro Motion people:
Is there anyway to pick a single tile from the canvas with a colour picker like single click rather than the hassle of having to drag a brush selection box around it?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #245 on: November 03, 2015, 03:58:29 am
Just want to give Directional Cubic Convolution Interpolation some attention.
garagecoder has just made a GMIC-based implementation of it, and it achieves results that are generally crisper than all other 'simple' upscaling filters I've tried (bilinear, bicubic, lanczos, lohalo, nohalo).
Conceptually, it's like HQ2x. except intended for smooth images rather than pixel art.

If you already use GMIC plugin for Gimp, then refreshing your filters should make it show up in Testing->Garagecoder->Dcci 2x resize.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #246 on: November 06, 2015, 06:39:38 am
Another question for you Pro Motion people:
Is there anyway to pick a single tile from the canvas with a colour picker like single click rather than the hassle of having to drag a brush selection box around it?

Sort of.
I set Grid Snap to '~' key and Brush Select to 'W'.
With Grid Snap on you only have to click drag the mouse a pixel for it to snap around the whole tile.
Single clicking wont work.
It selects nothing.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #247 on: November 06, 2015, 08:04:55 pm
That's basically what I'm already doing. I could probably live with it if it weren't for Pro Motion being "clever" and automatically turning off snap if I accidentally select a zero width brush.

Unfortunately Pro Motion has altogether rather too much such "cleverness" for me to continue regarding it a power user's tool.

On the other hand version 7 is looking promising. Looks as though all the floats are dockable so hopefully it'll become usable on linux with wine.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:10:09 pm by surt »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #248 on: November 07, 2015, 12:29:53 am
Yah PM has a lot of quirks like that.
As I get more used to the work flow it imposes, bothersome things like this become less visible to me.
But still, there's so many times I'll be PMing happily and then I feel like... wtf... just happened?

Happy to hear of v7.
Reading thru the notes.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #249 on: November 17, 2015, 01:38:15 am
Critical bug found in libpng.  This is a common library used to load and save png images.  Application developers should update their libraries.  Image applications and web browsers (and anything that opens an arbitrary png image) are the most vulnerable.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/15/png_pongs_critical_bug_patched_in_ubiquitous_libpng/