AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015  (Read 92911 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2015

Reply #190 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:47 am
It's open, but very far from ready for any testing.
I have a bad habit of never quite finishing any component before moving on to the next so the bits that work at all only do so in a broken manner. The OpenGL contexts are very fragile and probably won't work for you without manual changing the request in code.
If you do want to try it, you just need Qt 5.4 to build, no other dependencies as yet. Currently targeting OpenGL 3.3 so probably need a not too very shabby GPU, I would guess that older laptop integrated graphics would be a no go (I eventually want to use it on my tablet PC so this might be revised down in the future).

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #191 on: April 18, 2015, 03:25:55 am
I just had a quick idea WRT your 'marching ants' problem, Surt:

This is a standard 2x2 Bayer matrix:

Code: [Select]
0, 96,
160, 255

And the 4 consecutive frames of the first image I posted are the four possible offsets you can apply to a 2x2 pattern:

(0,0) , (1,0), (1,1), (0,1)

(possibly, using only two frames might work better, I haven't tested that.)

I suspect it's mathematically provable that this is the minimal pattern that one can obtain a reliable 'marching-ants-like' rendering with, that maintains its marching-ant quality on any angle of line or conjunction of lines.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:27:45 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #192 on: April 21, 2015, 07:27:40 pm
Hi everyone~

I want to have some pixel art printed as inspirational posters for my new room. :)

I'm going through my reference folders right now, but I figured I might ask around if anyone had ideas about what to actually print? I have no idea what to choose there's so much good shit out there ahah

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #193 on: April 21, 2015, 08:02:51 pm
cool man, like printing off huge screenshots as posters? thats what id do i guess. id narrow it down to a few games you really love or that had an effect on you, and then think of the best looking areas in those games. you could play them on emulators and take screens of the action.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #194 on: April 21, 2015, 08:13:01 pm
... I honestly forgot about games altogether. I'm mostly having, like, "pixel art" printed and that's what I was asking about XD
Like I have Paul Veer's vespa girl, and Ilkke's secret santa on my list for example <3

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #195 on: April 21, 2015, 11:21:23 pm
Grandpa, it was this big by junkboy has always been a favorite of mine. Two more Vespa Girl images.

Desconsolo by Jinn

Almost anything by panda

Almost anything by Snake

An Isometric thing by cocefi. I realize cocefi's stuff is usually animated, but a still frame would still look good. I feel isometric art should be represented, but I usually don't like it. Cocefi is an exception.

Well, fool does isometric as well, but a lot of my favorite things by him are animated. Browse, though.

Gameboy Fun by cow

Undertale Story Card by tuyoki

There's some pieces all by the same person I've got I'm trying to find the source for. I kinda just save and don't source things, and I regret it now. I... get the impression I have a lot of stuff in my collection that isn't on the internet anymore... May still post it, maybe someone can tell me who did them. Some nice low color environments.

Edit: Found him: Slemsvamp. A good one and Another good one

This is lacking in more retro/tiled stuff, but that's a decent start, maybe. I agree about it being hard to choose. My pixel art collection gets more massive each day...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:40:34 pm by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #196 on: April 22, 2015, 12:12:20 pm
Yessss thanks Kasumi that's the kind of stuff I need to help me narrow it down. <3
I'll post pictures whenever I get everything too :D (that could take a couple months, but eh!)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #197 on: April 22, 2015, 01:07:58 pm
woops! sorry, i guess i think of games when i think of pixel art. those that kasumi mentioned are pretty freaking awesome.

Offline Chilly

• n.n /
    • View Profile

Reply #198 on: April 23, 2015, 12:58:09 am
Good to see that Pixelation is still around.  :y: A lot of stuff seems to have changed though ... I still recognize some old names too. It's literally been about 10+ years since I was last here.  :lol:

Is Peppermint Pig still around? Fry Chico? St0ven?  ??? Fill me in~

-Formerly l3lue

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio