AuthorTopic: Chunkbot  (Read 21611 times)

Offline Acke

• Oh yeah! Pixel for me baby! ;)
    • View Profile

Re: Chunkbot

Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 08:41:48 pm
That looks pretty good apart from the edge highlights. I used to do highlights like that myself when I started doing 3d stuff and it DOES get very buisy when the models are animated. Even in games like Quake 3 or even HL2.

Helm: in most 3d apps you can see the UWV sheet and the model at the same time. So you can probably select the polys in the UWV window and it will show the selection on the model.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 10:03:40 pm
Acke: Adam is the only one with the object file, so nobody can preview the changes in real time unless they constructed something visually identical and unwrapped it

adam, i would love you forever if you made a manual.  i already have blender but my brain doesnt work with it, never has since i downloaded it years ago and doesnt now that its all been reupholstered
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 10:14:13 pm
haha adarias i hear you, i had a friend who was kind enough to walk me through the basics.  There is a decent wiki manual for the basics of blender out now, which is nice.  My "manual" will be VERY brief however, and mainly restrictred to selecting textures and setting them up to have 1-bit alpha - I'm afraid it won't do THAT much to help you navigate blender's baby-killing GUI.

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #33 on: August 16, 2006, 09:44:54 am
I freaking love this. Makes me wanna try some myself, I can imagine it flying around some Sega Saturn shooter and I wanna blow it up.

Offline Acke

• Oh yeah! Pixel for me baby! ;)
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 10:34:09 am
Adarias: True. I just wanted mention that it wouldnt be that much of a problem to know what part of the UWVs that corresponds to what part of the model.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 01:09:17 pm
what this reminded me of personally was actually megaman legends...

The robot does not really strike my fancy either, but I do see the point about MGS, I think it looks great.

HElm, what was the section of the game that rubbed you the wrong way the most? I really want to understand exactly what is your gripe with it.

the one game that has achieved the 3d pixelart effect well enough for me, is the upcoming extreme ghouls n ghosts/ultimate ghouls n goblins for PSP

http://psp.ign.com/articles/689/689222p1.html

as usual with 3d, you'd better watch a video because stills dont do it justice.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 01:19:54 pm by Conceit »

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 08:57:14 am
You inspired me...

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 12:49:28 pm
hahaha whoooa awesome!! that is so sweet dude!

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 01:47:02 pm
3D = BAD...  ;D

:( don't go there!!! Stay pure and stay with the pixels.

(he says working on 360° game...) :S

I've betrayed myself... :(

This is a very interesting thread. and I have to second what ptoing said about the noise factor at the DS scale screen... frying...

Helm: remember Zeewolf on the mig... (looked a bit like VIrus/Zarch) ? - that had the BEST low poly people in it - single triangle... animated with a bit of a hobble... was v-nice... kind of ultimate in uber economic poly pushing... I'm with you on this one that's 4 sure...

Tinygiant: Found your trolls thing the other day... one of my buddies at work started a thread here on internal mail called "Kitty" which started based on that kitty hawk game/demo/whaever it is... did it ever get finsihed?

AdamAtomic: If I were i'd flare some of those boxes you're using to make up the general shape of the mech... I kind of see what you're doing with the boxy cuboid look but in my mind it ain't workin' - you could try slecting the four vertices on one edge and scaling them down... or up... to create more rhomboid shapes, it'll add a bit of additional interest to the form...  I always found with lo poly work to pinch joints and triagulate as much as possible to economise on poly's... the gun barrel is a good example of this - it could be a extruded triangle instead of an square.  Obviously feel free to ignore me - just my opinion.

Ptoing: still not made it past 10km... either I'm crap or that games super tuff...!
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 02:25:08 pm

Tinygiant: Found your trolls thing the other day... one of my buddies at work started a thread here on internal mail called "Kitty" which started based on that kitty hawk game/demo/whaever it is... did it ever get finsihed?

heh, not yet but it will be, I've done loads of GFX for it, programmer that I usually work with is currently in the process of moving house, once thats done he'll be back onto it. In fact this topic got me thinking about using simple 3D low poly backgrounds and bosses in Kitty Hawk