AuthorTopic: What is your honest opinion? {Edit}  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Pt0GG98

• View Profile

What is your honest opinion? {Edit}

on: January 10, 2015, 12:43:17 am
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and would like some feedback on a piece of pixel art I made. I have attempted to create my own art style, and am very pleased with the outcome. I would like to hear your thoughts on the overall design. My goal is to become better at this medium, so  be honest. You won't offend me :)

edit

I am trying something different. Overall, I really liked how my design turned out,with the colors and all, but the thing that bugs me is the shading. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Decent Sprite

Also, should I have made a separate post, or am I fine just adding on to this one? I would like to follow the rules to this forum :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:02:24 pm by Pt0GG98 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: What is your honest opinion?

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:56:44 am

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:01:07 am
Creating your own art style is bound to be a difficult task, especially considering that your sprite looks quite a bit like Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery.

http://www.swordandsworcery.com/storage/spot_archetype.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1338488531357
http://www.swordandsworcery.com/picture/retrohd.png?pictureId=5057041

Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty great, though.  I would probably up the contrast of the shirt/bandolier and maybe remove a few of the extra colors like on the scarf and hair.  Too many different colors clutter it up and make it harder to animate if you would ever want to.

Offline Pt0GG98

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:34:13 am
I appreciate the feedback, Rosier. Yes, I am aware that my art looks very similar to the "Superbrothers" style, and I will try and change that. And since you mentioned it, Sword and Sorcery was an amazing game.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 02:04:51 am
Think less about style and more about process.
Improve your ability to make choices, delineate, and construct an order of doing things.
This can in many ways lead to similar result to another style.
But it will more than likely give you a much more interesting and distinct way of interpreting objects than just borrowing preconceived ideas from others.

This is not to say you should not think about or disregard the styles of others.
Influence from others in your art will always exist.
Just if this if your intention for this specific piece:
I have attempted to create my own art style
You could do with better thought balance on what you are trying to accomplish.

My goal is to become better at this medium
Keep it up.
Grind away.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:35:15 am
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Don't try to be completely original. Why would you? No one is.

The sprite style looks great, no one cares that it's reminiscent of Superbrothers, just keep the pixels flowing :)

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 06:01:37 am
Just to drive PixelPiledriver's point home,

Style isn't very often something created, it's more of a natural process, an accumulation of the artists tastes and tendencies. I don't often see much success when people try to force a style. It seems like it's trying to skip over an important process in order to get to the results. But it's the process that's important. Honestly that's the key word Pilerdriver used. Process. More and more i'm learning that art is really a conversation between you and your body of work, the more you think and do the more sophisticated and interesting that conversation gets.

As for the character himself, I like it. Though it feels like he is fading into the background a bit. Beyond a few redundant colours there isn't too much to crit at this resolution.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:52:46 pm
I don't ppersonally get much out of noodle legs style but it seems to be pretty popular.
Try experimenting with different scales and try various more natural poses and perspectices that don't consist if straight lines at single pixel width.

Don't try too hard to settle into a "style" early on.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: What is your honest opinion? {Edit}

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 11:17:40 pm
The red guy still has a large amount of unnecessary colors on it, and I feel the brown highlights don't match up from on either side, especially on the legs.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: What is your honest opinion? {Edit}

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 06:58:15 am
Please don't post everything so scaled up.
100% is preferred or 200% if you must.