AuthorTopic: Need help with running and lunge animations.  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Travisty

• View Profile

Need help with running and lunge animations.

on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:15 am
I've looked into a fair amount of animation resources (spending nearly a month on it before posting here in an attempt to resolve my current problem) but can't seem to get this right.

This is my downward walk:

If anyone knows a better way to get gif images here I'd like to know. I use Graphicsgale but know how to export to Photoshop in order to make them into Gifs.

I'm unable to give him a running animation for some reason. It always comes off as too flexible or weird. I'm looking to also create a Wind Waker style lunge (where Link leaps in the air at an enemy) but the same problem occurs. These guys have weapons and hold a traditional shield but for efficiency I've kept them separate from the soldier sprites, opting instead to simply overlay them atop the animation.
Here's a screenshot of them with equipment:

Edit: I forgot to mention this but I must not have saved my failed attempts. I'm going to work on an animation for both so that I can provide some sort of "jumping off point" for guidance. That'll be tomorrow though as it's already 10pm.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:47:44 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Need help with running and lunge animations.

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:12:43 am
Ewwww mixed resolutions!  :n::yell:

Please use [img] tags like above.

Gale is better than photoshop for animated gif and u don't need photoshop.
maybe u need to but it under $20.

Drag and drop animated gif files to Www.imgur.com (register and login first) and post the link in img tags.

Offline Travisty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:18 pm
Out of curiosity what do you mean by mixed resolutions? I doubt that it's purely in regard to things literally having a different width by height.

Oh, right. And if it's about the sword/shield perspective that's because I haven't worked on that at all. So it's just a flat (no tilt) perspective at the moment with them.

Triple edit: Upgrading GraphicsGale would be something that I'd do but the gif functionality isn't important to me. This is the first time I've ever had to turn anything into a gif.

Working on the lunge animation at the moment and will hopefully be able to complete it without being kidnapped-and I kid you not I was just informed that I have plans today that I didn't know about. Either way I'll get this done as soon as I can. Working on it now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:02:12 pm by Travisty »

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 08:49:10 pm
Out of curiosity what do you mean by mixed resolutions? I doubt that it's purely in regard to things literally having a different width by height.

Pixels of different sizes being used in the same image. That arrow next to the guard would have to be twice as large for it to fit with everything else.

Offline Travisty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:33:02 pm
Ohhh, right. The arrows are the black sheep of the game. I didn't scale them up early on due to a desire to give the player a little more room to play with the arrow (going between things and whatnot) but I don't think that that needs to stay. I'll scale it as well and see how it goes.

1. It's too big now. But I think this can be EASILY solved by simply reducing the wood length.
2. Due to the arrows curving this does make the pixels become odd fairly quickly. However, it seems to me that the only area really being "warped" is the wood (which isn't a big deal compared to the head or tail of the arrow).
3. The bushes are on the backburner but are on my radar as I can tell that they're pretty jagged.

It was indeed a simple fix. I appreciate that it was suggested as I'd grown used to it and forgot that it was out of line in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:04:56 am by Travisty »