AuthorTopic: [WIP] Samurai  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Pukahuna

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/40206.htm
    • pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

[WIP] Samurai

on: December 21, 2014, 02:11:31 am
Hi, I start to do this pixel yesterday, but i'm having some problems...
What bothers me most is the face, I always had problems with small faces. I'm not satisfied with the colours too, mainly the red and skin.
Hope you can help me improve it, and sorry for my poor english x_x

EDIT:
I changed the colors, think i'ts better now, looks more oriental
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:07:58 pm by Pukahuna »
ig: @pukahuna

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Samurai

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 04:29:22 am
Hello there, and welcome to Pixelation!

This looks like a very promising start, I hope you keep with it; It can be a really cool piece.

If you have problems with small faces, you're in luck, because with the lighting situation you set up, you don't really have to put much detail into the face at all. The one you have right now actually is good for what it is, but you're overestimating how much light would be reaching his face. It should be closer to a rim lighting scenario, where it just hits the edges.

When you sketch, I would suggest using a 1 pixel brush, might help from things getting to messy too fast.

Speaking of messy, your image has 109 colors. Make sure to use tools that allow you precise control over your palette. a mostly monochromatic image like this needs no more than 16. I reduced my edit to 16 and there is barely any loss of information at all. Anything else could be solved by better spacing of value between colors.

I felt the posing was a bit awkward, especially the hand with the sword. You might want to play around with different poses. The feet are also a bit awkward and boring. I can understand wanting to make the sword a focal point, but it can be done in better ways I think.

While the handling of the palette is messy, the general idea with the colors is good. Creates a definite mood. almost a cinematic touch. Strong sense of lighting, and the composition is simple but effective.

Good luck on this piece, and I hope this was of some help  :y:

Offline Pukahuna

• pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 04:04:04 pm
Thank you so much Ryumaru, it really helps me, I changed the pose for your, it's much better :D
I tried to change the face illumination, but it looks strange (my try, not the illumination), I'll try to fix it later.
And I really liked the atmosphere of your edit, later i'll post here with the colors changed to decide the way to go
Here is what I got now:

Edit:
I think it will gona be too empty, i'd like to put more details in the bottom, anyone have some idea for that?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:32:52 am by Pukahuna »

Offline grue

• red & green
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:34:20 pm
I think the composition looks fine as it is; more details on the bottom might make it look cluttered. Then again, it's your art and your decision.

By the way, consider taking another look at the handle of the sword - it looks somewhat inflated.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:49:37 pm
I like it a lot! Especially how you handled colors and gradients.

But I think it's kind of weird that he's smiling :P (especially with blacked-out eyes like that)
Justified if it is a hidden trump-card / evil bloodlust smile.
But if so, it should be more of a smirk, and I think you should raise the corner of mouth ;)

Offline Pukahuna

• pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:53:25 pm
Thank you Grue and YellowLime, I changed the mouth a bit, it was suposed to be an evil smile x_x (Edit: I changed it again and he's not laughing anymore) The hand i'll try to fix later :D

I'm having difficulty shading his pants and this cloth around his waist, it was suposed to be like the image bellow, but is just looking like a randon shading :(

Edit2:
I did this color change, is it better?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:48:20 am by Pukahuna »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 08:11:46 pm
I like the sky but it might be nice with more vibrant red for contrast.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 12:17:56 am
nice piece  :y:
i really like the atmosphere and lighting.

blue sky looks nice but red sky is better.
red sky feels more "there will be blood".

the face is too washed out so u need more contrast to make him stand out against a red sky.
look at Ryumaru's edit where there is brighter light and darker shadow, this makes him stand out.
i would say don't concern yourself too much with skin colour in this situation because the colour from the sunset is what we should see.

the drapery is looking good but the shoulder on our left has some strong lumps and the kimono near his neck seems a bit stiff instead of hanging naturally.

i also really like the sunlight coming into the valley.
i cant do edit right now but it would be nice to have a beam of volumetric light between the rocks.
i'd also like to see some kind of soft glow around the sun bleeding into the rock shapes if u feel like attempting that.

Offline Pukahuna

• pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 10:15:27 pm
Thank you Decroted, I changed the face lighting and tried to do the volumetric light, also tried a reflection on the sword, but i'm not sure if it's good x_x

Edit:
I think it's done, I just have to refine the dithering and some things, but overall it's finished. Anyway, if someone have some idea for it i'm still open for that, thanks everyone who answer me in this post, you really helped me :D
Here is how it's looking and the WIP:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:57:40 am by Pukahuna »