AuthorTopic: PoP fangame sprites - Example  (Read 10808 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

PoP fangame sprites - Example

on: August 11, 2006, 03:12:02 am
I would like to add that I am only colouring these and that the poses are made by Ankh.  This animation is for picking up light objects. 

Here is a slower version for easier viewing.

4 frames, and 10 colours
C+C appreciated. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: PoP fangame sprites - Example

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:27:23 am
I would like him to look down and watch exactly what he's picking up.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:36:53 am
Why not do the sprites in POP1 style? Lots of frames, few colors looked a lot better than the sprites in prince of persia 2. Even though the engine is for prince of
persia sands of time, I reckon POP1 way is better.

I think in the third frame his arms look too big. Maybe you could make a bigger contrast between colors (go to a darker pink).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:44:10 pm
I think its nearly impossible to make a good fangame of a series that revolutionized game animation.  My suggestion to you would be to get the as many of the original frames as you can and use them for reference, changing, adding, and subtracting frames where necessary.  also, what happened to his nerdy bowl-cut? :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:47:29 pm
I think you should probably scrap these.  Work on a good 1-frame portrait of the character first, and once you think you have something that reflects his character well start doing skeletons and simple line art of the various animations.

Adarias has a good point too - this is NOT a trivial task; PoP:SoT still has the most complete, fluid animation of any video game ever made; and they had the advantage of skeletal animation, allowing them to utilize physics, particles, IK, blending...a LOT of stuff that is inherently lacking in traditional sprite art (though a clever multi-sprite character might pull off some of it, but its hard to make that character not look like a doll without using vectors and solid colors as sharprm posted).

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:09:48 pm
I think you should probably scrap these.  Work on a good 1-frame portrait of the character first, and once you think you have something that reflects his character well start doing skeletons and simple line art of the various animations.

Adarias has a good point too - this is NOT a trivial task; PoP:SoT still has the most complete, fluid animation of any video game ever made; and they had the advantage of skeletal animation, allowing them to utilize physics, particles, IK, blending...a LOT of stuff that is inherently lacking in traditional sprite art (though a clever multi-sprite character might pull off some of it, but its hard to make that character not look like a doll without using vectors and solid colors as sharprm posted).

I am pretty sure Adarias meant the original PoP game. That had/has really good animations for it's time. Yay rotoscoping.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 04:21:53 pm
yeah you're probably right - i assumed SoT because of the blue pants and no shirt and "bowl cut" comment but it looks like it may just be regular PoP!  My apologies :)  I still have PoP and PoP2 on 3.5" floppy at home...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:54:34 pm
yeah sorry theres a bit of confusion; my suggestion is to study the original rotoscope-based frames, and work from them to create a 2d SoT Prince.  the bowl-cut business is just half-joking about the baldness of the sprite Sohashu posted.

to stay relly true to the series, you could even take a video on a digital camera of yourself doing the new actions like the famous wall stepping.  its not as hard as it looks to go a short way, especially if you can find a nice rough but simple surface like a brick wall to run on, and you only need enough frames to make a good loop.  do it outside where you have a lot of room, if you can, since you need room to really get a running start
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 05:58:06 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 08:37:08 pm
now we all know that in adarias's spare time, he practices wall stepping.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 12:30:45 am
OK.  "bowl cut" is coming once I finish.  Also,there is a more detailed sheet coming.   It is smoother and such, as well as bigger.  My main question is about the shading.  What do you think?
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 12:51:48 am
Might just be me, but I'd say it's just a tiny bit low on contrast. Monitor's a bit crappy here, but I saw these earlier (on a better one) and thought the same thing. Maybe someone else can back me up/show me I'm wrong :D.

Nice sprite, btw.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 02:07:11 am
i just think the contrast is really odd in places, tremulant.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 02:29:36 am
I agree, Ryu. Looking at it now, it seems as though in the fully crouched frame, the lightest blue goes neon. Also, something I noticed before, but didn't mention: The outlines bug me, especially on the skin, 'cause they're almost the same shade as the darkest shadows (which almost defeats their purpose in some places).

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 02:39:50 am
I personally think the animation is pretty 'girly.'
Maybe it's my own preference, but if I ever got down to pick something up, I wouldn't pull my legs together, I'd spread them or get on a knee and pick whatever I was going to get up from between my legs. As it is now, it looks like he's trying to keep someone from looking up a skirt.

Something like this(this isn't attempted shading, just trying to make it reliable with showing what depth is needed):

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 03:09:39 am
Found the link to the game engine that the graphics will be for:

http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=221847

Sohashu, could you make a picture with the colored sprite in the game?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 04:35:14 am
I made one.  I know some bits ATM are iffy.  Ill work on it.   

Keep in mind that is old.  so the crappy torso anatomy shouldnt matter. 

@ dusty - HE uses both hands,  I don't understand why you changed he amount of hands needed. 

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 05:40:27 am
i actually would strongly suggest a different approach to coloring, something like this quickie:

done to capitalise on the dramatic elements of the atmosphere and the story.  not actually like this, but something a bit more defined and a bit more dramatic than just stright-forward relief and recess shading
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 05:56:38 am
I have no Idea what is going on there. 

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 07:52:56 am
@ dusty - HE uses both hands,  I don't understand why you changed he amount of hands needed. 

'cause I don't know how many hands he used?

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 08:02:05 pm
I have no Idea what is going on there. 
Do I sense a bit....jealousy...maybe?  :P

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 09:20:13 pm
No.  I was stating my opinion. 

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 09:31:24 pm
I really didn't like you sprite. No Offfence. Its to plain and isnt as vibrant as it could be.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 10:56:32 pm
Well someone call a wambulance.  Look people, this is as close as ill probably get to a hot topic, and its because people are complaining about stylistic choices and jumpy animation.  Just shut up about it. 

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 11:13:08 pm
C+C not appreciated. 

Probably is what you should have put.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 11:42:41 pm
im just pissed off thta all you can talk about is the styles of various games and how I should be like them. 

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 11:44:40 pm
Sohashu, I agree that you aren't taking C+C very well at all in this instance.  and what the crap is "Well someone call a wambulance."?  That was un-needed and quite frankly, immature.  As far as i could tell, people weren't compaining about a stylistic choice, they were giving you ways to improve it.  Call your decisions a 'stylistic choice' if you want, but nobody likes a style that doesn't look appealing.  Things said about the 'jumpy animation' are also valid crits and you should look into them.  I agree with the critiques most have said here.  Your a great guy, so I dont want you to dig yourself deeper than what you already are.

"just shut up about it" - not a good move.  You have been warned.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 12, 2006, 11:56:21 pm
Im sorry.  Im just tired.  I have had the flu and im not taking things well.  Sorry everyone. 

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 11:59:31 pm
Im sorry.  Im just tired.  I have had the flu and im not taking things well.  Sorry everyone. 
good move.  your okay by me

yosh64

Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 08:24:09 am
hey

The shape of the head looks odd to me, it also looks bare and not well defined, maybe some hair, or a hat could help???.

The shading looks lacking, nothing seems defined... I get a slight sense of pillow shading, even though it is not. Hmm, the pants and shoes seem to look better to me in your mockup image.

@Adarias: It looks darn nice, but I think it would be a horror to animate???, hehe :). I mean how cool would it be to have the other side of him light up when he walks in the other direction :), but yea... I think it would be tough. But then again, I've never really done any pixel animation, so I dunno what I'm talking about :\.

I think I remember thinking he was just crouching when I first saw, I don't think there is much to emphasize him picking something up?

Anyhows I don't want to discourage you :\, so yea... keep at it :).

cyas
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:35:07 am by yosh64 »

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 10:31:15 am
Its okay Shos. But colour choicing and maybe sprite anatomy is what I think you have to work on. And don't think you the only one...*stares at himself* :( :P