Ze News

on: August 10, 2006, 08:11:00 pm
Here is my new one! I like the pallete what you think :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Ze News

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:41 pm
I think you should go back to the fundamentals.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:25:40 pm
I think I want to see you complete a whole figure instead of only doing faces

If you like doing faces, try a big enough portrait to get some good detail in there, and drop the skeleton entirely. But if you are going to draw a skeleton, you might as well flesh it all out. ^_^

I like how you use half-pixels to suggest features...that is something I've never gotten the hang of =)

If you're satisfied where you are, you'll probably not improve =p

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 11:23:59 pm
definately work bigger, you're gettin no detail into your characters atm.. Try basing your pixel characters on something you've drawn It looks like you're relying on a quickly made structure that isn't necisserily anatomically correct.

sketch some characters out, look at other peoples work, and try work out what exactly they do to get to the 'pixeling stage'..

helms right, it'd be useful goin back to the basics.. I'd suggest trying to sketch out a face and working on it at a reasonable size.. Working on a full body takes some skill, cus you have to make sure it looks natural (as in, not doll-ish).. You need to work on your characters stance, angling, proportions.. Then not only deciding a light source, you have to make it look like your character's actually, a character.. so to speak..

take it one step at a time rergy
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 07:52:45 am
K I've pretty been good at drawing the shape of a face but I have the problem of finding what stands out.
I sketch EVERYDAY. I do  it in every school book I have as a matter of fact I did a anatomy of a character jumping of a ledge (Gunz related. I should make a topic of how I can improve soon. L8r :P

yosh64

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 10:16:51 am
hey

I would most advise you to continue and finnish this to whatever standard. I thinks the more time you spend on it, the more things you will pick up, and also so you have something more to improve on, if this makes any sense???. I would also advise you to make further progress before even posting in future ;).

From a quick peek, I see right away there to be no defined light source, which makes it look quite flat. I think the torso looks to small to me, and also the head looks to large. I think his head/neck is almost the width of his body? hehe.

cyas
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 10:29:15 am by yosh64 »

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 11:30:58 am
Thanks Yosh :P I never realised the head XD. I migt start from the original Linework. I did use a light source but I think the default skin was maybe a little to light to make the light noticable. :P.

I think I've had enough comments on anatomy and I thank you all who helped!! But I can see part of my pallete is wrong any tips with that?.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 11:57:38 am
Ok, this might sound a bit harsh now, but I don't wanna put you down or anything.

You say "I'm pretty good with this, I't pretty good with that..." and so on whereas in fact, you are not. If you wanna improve your artskills you need to work on fundamentals, like Helm has said a few times before. Pixelart is not really a medium suited to better your artskills to a great amount. It can help a bit with few things but not really when you are pretty much starting out.

I mean, you are 12. I was shit at art when I was 12, difference is I did not post my doodles on the Internet, no such thing widely available back then.
I jest kept drawing a lot and eventually got better with time.

So again, my advice would be to practise drawing on paper and not on the computer, draw what you see. Draw your pet, your parents, your friends, your house, places in your town, whatever, draw what you see. And then at some later point if pixelart still tickles your fancy come back to it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:31:15 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:58 pm
  I like the hue variation in the skin tones. About the palette, it looks kinda dry. If you increase the contrast, it'll be better. Maybe add clothing and finish the rest of the body. I hope that helps.

yosh64

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 12:56:28 pm
hey

I done this edit to try and show you about defining a light source. I also advise you use less colors while learning, I think 3 colors is enough :).

cyas